Client Assembly

Can anyone please tell me what is ‘Client Assembly’. And why do we use it.

I am new on AX. Kindly help me understanding the things. Thanks.

Hello Pankaj,

The Microsoft Dynamics AX Application Object Tree (AOT) contains a node “References”. This node “References” contains references to Microsoft .NET assemblies for the .NET common language runtime (CLR) types to be incorporated natively into X++ source code. The X++ editor reads type data from the referenced assemblies so that IntelliSense is available for CLR namespaces, types, and type members. The MorphX compiler uses the CLR type definitions in the referenced assembly for type and member syntax validation, and the Dynamics AX runtime uses the reference elements to locate and load the referenced assembly.

The Microsoft Dynamics AX development environment enables you to integrate a .NET-connected application with Microsoft Dynamics AX. This feature gives developers a simplified way to develop integrations with Microsoft Dynamics AX using standard Microsoft developer tools such as Visual Studio .NET and the .NET Framework. Using .NET Business Connector, you can access Microsoft Dynamics AX data or business logic from a .NET-connected application.

To add a reference to .NET Business Connector:

• Open Visual Studio.

• In Solution Explorer, right-click References and click Add Reference.

• In the Add Reference window, click the Browse tab.

• Specify the location of Microsoft.Dynamics.BusinessConnectorNet.dll, and then click Add.

• Click OK.

Note: For a typical install, assemblies are located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50\Client\Bin.

Hi Shankar,

First of all thanks. Now, i am very curious to know whether Assemblies in .Net ,AX and MECOMS are same or they are Different?

Please look into the next post which is the corrected post to your query.

Hello Pankaj,

X++ is the Microsoft Dynamics AX Programming Language. Classes in assemblies that are managed by the common language runtime (CLR) can be accessed in X++ code. This feature of Microsoft Dynamics AX is called .NET interop from X++. .NET interop from X++ is useful when you want your X++ code to access the functionalities in a CLR managed assembly. This includes assemblies that are installed with the .NET Framework. It also includes any assemblies that you create with a language such as C# or Visual Basic.

The .NET interop from X++ feature works in the direction from X++ calling into CLR managed assemblies.

MECOMS is a a vertical solution for the energy and utilities industry, built on top of Microsoft Dynamics™ AX 2009.