Chart of Accounts

Hello, I’m newbie to Navision. Is there any functionality of managing more tha one single chart of account?. I need to associate a chart of account for a specific fiscal year. I.e. In Year 2004 the account for “CASH” is no. 1000, while in fiscal year 2005 “CASH” is no. 1233. I want them to be separated for each fiscal year. Thank you Giovanni

I can see three solutions. The one that I have done is to run two Charts of accounts in parallel, that share the same GL Entries. This requires some programming that is pretty straight forward, but does require a hight leve of understanding of how accounting works in Navision. Another option is to creat BOTht he accounts at the same time, and create an “Expires On” date field, and some code to work with this. I think though that in your case this will not work, as it owuld not allow you to use the same account number for something else. A third option is to rethink your business processes.

David, thank you for your quick reply. I’m converting data from another application where the chart of account is separated for each fiscal year. My client wants to convert into Navion all historycal GL entries and the corresponding chart of accounts. The client is also used and wants to have the opportunity to change the chart of account in the future. He says that the functionality should be that he can have lots of chart of accounts (i.e. chart of account no. 1 , no. 2 , no. 3) and he has to associate one of them to each fiscal year. Thank you Giovanni

I don’t know Italian accounting, but I can’t blieve that this is a standard accounting requirement. I have seen this used in multi country implementations where each country has a diferent Chart of Accounts, but I think this is just a user issue, I think you should just train them on Navision.

Have you considered using Global Dimension 1 or 2 for the year?

I think it looks as though this is a long term requirement, not a one off. Dimenssions would be e quick fix, but long term will cause more problems than they solve. I believe this is a training issue.

quote:

Hello, I’m newbie to Navision. Is there any functionality of managing more tha one single chart of account?. I need to associate a chart of account for a specific fiscal year. I.e. In Year 2004 the account for “CASH” is no. 1000, while in fiscal year 2005 “CASH” is no. 1233. I want them to be separated for each fiscal year. Thank you Giovanni
Originally posted by henrymiller - 2005 Jun 30 : 11:57:14

This is just an idea, but I would suggest having one set of master Account No.'s which stays the same forever and create a new table with the yearly account no.'s. So in the G/L Cash would always be “1000” but there would be a second table which would have each years equivalent. For example, the line for 2005 might have Account No.=“1000”; Year=2005; Yearly Account No.=“1233”. It would be a bit tricky making sure that you maintain a one-to-one mapping, however…

Hi Tim, that’s exactly what I said above in my first reply. I have done this for a few clients, (i.e. maintaining two seperate charts of accounts,) and it is not rocket science, as you say you do need some code to ensure a consistant set of accounts, but its not a big jog. I have done this mainly for clients that require on line accounts conriming to two seperate companies, and where Accoutns Schedules just don’t cut it. I still beleive though that this is a training issue. In this case I would look at manintaining a sane internal chart of accoutns, and using Account’s schedules to provide the alternate reporting. After all thats exactly what they were designed for.