Chaning Collations - Update Validate Code Page setting

Well I just got this error.

"One of the system ANIS(1252)/OEM(437) code pages on your computer does not match the 1250 code page of the SQL_Lating1_General_CP1250_CS_AS collation, for the xxx database.

You must ensure that the regional options of the computer uses the correct system language/locale, in order for the code pages to match.

You can avoid this checking by disabling the “Validate Code Page” setting in the Alter Database window."

So far so good. The issue is 1) I cannot open the “Validate Code Page” setting page, as I get this error. 2) Where can I change this setting on my PC - I know where this was done on other Windows version before XP, but now I’m using XP and cannot find the place to change it.

Eric,
it is clearly written in the error message: “Contact your system manager” [:D]

sorry, could not resist<

Control Panel => Regional and Language Options => Advanced tab

Try changing “Language for non-Unicode programs”
And try to add/remove from list below that combo-box.

Here, we must change this Language from standard English to our language, otherwise, in GUI, our special characters are not displayed properly.

[:D]

Well I am the system manager for this database!

Advanced Tab??

I only see a “Regional Options” and “Languages” tab…

Huh?!

What SP (if any) do you have on that winXP?

(you are DB system manager but are you OS administrator too?, maybe you are not allowed to change these settings on that OS…)

I have XP Prof. SP2 - and yes, I’m not OS manager…

That could be a problem…

Another solution will be to log on to Navision from different computer where codepage is set ok for DB and then to change “Validate codepage” property, but, I suppose you’re already tried this solution :slight_smile:

Well I’ve seen that the Advanced tab exist, I had an admin login - but what should I change it to?

“One of the system ANIS(1252)/OEM(437) code pages on your computer does not match the 1250 code page of the SQL_Lating1_General_CP1250_CS_AS collation, for the xxx database.”

Sorry on Italic, cause of some reason, I cannot type in normal letters…
Check in checkbox list below is 1250 (ANSI - Centra Europe) enabled at all? If not, enable it and than try to connect to DB (I think you have to restart OS after changes and maybe you will be propmted for winXP CD upon applying of changes).

So in the drop-down list of languages you need to choose a language that uses code page 1250. But who created that database with this collation? Was it the right choice, and your client machine is wrong, or should it have been an English (1252/437) database?

Code Page 1250 are:

Albanian

Croatian

Czech

Færoese

Hungarian

Polish

Romanian

Serbian

Slovakian

Slovenian

that is good question too, though I think that you cannot change a collation on a server or DB easily.