Changing Bill-To

When you post a shipment, a posted sales shipment is created with the sell-to and bill-to taken from the sales order. When you invoice via get shipment lines, or the batch job you have to create the invoice for the bill-to from the posted shipment (or from the order). There does not seem to be a way to create the invoice for that shipment on a different customer. This implies that when you ship something, you already have to know the bill-to. Basically this means that the people doing the shipment, have to know the invoicing entity already, so this is in contradiction to the statement that quantity and value posting are seperated. Is there any legal restriction (if so, which one) or reason why this is done ? In this case the company does not know who will be the bill-to at the moment of shipping, since they are dealing with large organisations. Would it mean a large modification to change this ?

Nobody ?

I’m not an expert on this but can’t you either Change the Bill-to No. on the Invoice after you’ve retrieved the posted shipment lines via Get Shipment Lines or Remove the filter on Bill-to No. via Ctrl-F7 when you retrieve lines from posted shipments?

Nope, Navision doesn’t allow you to do so.

Which version are you using? Just tried in 3.60 and it works…

Hi I run into this definitive error with PO. If a PO (delivery) is posted you can’t change the ‘Pay-to’ fields. Absolut stupid [:(!]. So our plant staff has to know in advance who will get the money later. Nice work-flow [xx(]. v 3.01 B bye André

quote:

Originally posted by Steffen Voel
Which version are you using? Just tried in 3.60 and it works…

3.70, does not work : 100% sure

quote:

Originally posted by Andre DDB
Hi I run into this definitive error with PO. If a PO (delivery) is posted you can’t change the ‘Pay-to’ fields. Absolut stupid [:(!]. So our plant staff has to know in advance who will get the money later. Nice work-flow [xx(]. v 3.01 B bye André

Also true, once partial shipment has been done, you can not change anymore…

Could the reason be something in regards to interim posting? - Purchase / Sales VAT/Tax Also, I belive the Item Ledger Entries get the Gen. Bus. Posting Group assigned - Changing the Bill-To would then potentially change that - then what would happen. I agree with you, that it would be nice if you can change it, but the reason might lie there. But then again - One see on several occations, that the design doesn’t make sence :wink:

quote:

…So our plant staff has to know in advance who will get the money later. Nice work-flow [xx(]. …

I don’t necessarily see this as a bad work-flow. Most companies like to know who is paying for the goods when they ship them out. [:D]

quote:

Originally posted by chrisk

quote:

…So our plant staff has to know in advance who will get the money later. Nice work-flow [xx(]. …

I don’t necessarily see this as a bad work-flow. Most companies like to know who is paying for the goods when they ship them out. [:D]

Hmm. Perhaps on the sales side. But why can’t I change the ‘Pay-to’ vendor on the purchasing side??? We receive deliveries from several suppliers(1) and the invoice from one specific supplier(2). On the other hand we also receive invoices for some deliveries from the supplying supplier(1). So the staff in the plant can’t know in each case where the invoice comes from. This exact is IMHO a case for different vendor-fields on a sales order. They are on the card! But they don’t work (after posted delivery)[:(!]! I can remember in BLUE it was not possible to change the cost centre after posting a delivery [xx(] BUT it was possible to change the so called ‘Invoice-from’ supplier. bye André

quote:

Originally posted by chrisk

quote:

Not in all companies my friend. If you are dealing with large cooperations you don’t always know it in advance. It is also about flexibility, I agree most companies know it but not all of them, for the companies who don’t it would be nice if you could change it.

quote:

Originally posted by Hhelgesen
Could the reason be something in regards to interim posting? - Purchase / Sales VAT/Tax Also, I belive the Item Ledger Entries get the Gen. Bus. Posting Group assigned - Changing the Bill-To would then potentially change that - then what would happen.

I got some people checking the legal part, and apparently there does not seem to be a reason why you should not be allowed to change bill-to. You are right, item ledger and value entries do contain some fields whih worry me. But the fields in item AND value entries contain data related to the sell-to, and not the bill-to. Furthermore I used the developers toolkit to check where item ledger entries and value entries are used, but no real worries there… I hope. So the customisation is fairly “easy”, but I hope I don’t run into major issues in a couple of months, …

apart from the times weve entered orders on the incorrect company number (which is our fault therefore we should pay for extra workload!) i would consider the legal point a critical one. basically you are entering into a contract with the vendor when placing the order and the placing of the order by the customer and the vendor accepting it places the legal contract between customer and vendor. therefore the customer should only accept invoices from the pre determined vendor. in the “open order” situation you are describing there is no contract/agreement being placed with the order which i would consider a dangerous situation. after all, whats stopping mulitple companies sending in invoices and then all demanding payment? i would consider the locking of sales/purchase orders once despatched is acceptable.

quote:

Not in all companies my friend. If you are dealing with large cooperations you don’t always know it in advance. It is also about flexibility, I agree most companies know it but not all of them, for the companies who don’t it would be nice if you could change it.

we do have this situation in that we’ll place the order with an agent who then places it with another company. we ensure that the agent provides us with the appropiate vendor before completing the order so that the order can be raised accordingly. can you not instruct your vendor to supply these details when placing the order?

quote:

Originally posted by mdma
apart from the times weve entered orders on the incorrect company number (which is our fault therefore we should pay for extra workload!) i would consider the legal point a critical one. basically you are entering into a contract with the vendor when placing the order and the placing of the order by the customer and the vendor accepting it places the legal contract between customer and vendor. therefore the customer should only accept invoices from the pre determined vendor. in the “open order” situation you are describing there is no contract/agreement being placed with the order which i would consider a dangerous situation. after all, whats stopping mulitple companies sending in invoices and then all demanding payment? i would consider the locking of sales/purchase orders once despatched is acceptable.

You can do this standard in for example Axapta, so I do not think there is a legal issue.