Changing a control property

Situation: You have a table. And a field called “Issue Page No.”. The standard value for NotBlank property in the this field is Yes. You want to change it to a no. What do you do? You can do two things. Either change it to No. Or you can delete the content of the field. This way the default value is used - this is also No. The difference between these two solutions is that when you export the object as text, then solution on will have a line with NotBlank=No. Solution two will have no line with NotBlank. Why does this matter? As everyone who have done a upgrade with Navision Financials know, then this is really a pain, and you want to minimize the work as much as possible. Will it be easier if the line is there and changed - or if the line is not there? Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster Navision Online User Group

Erik as we know Navision only shows the changed properties, can you imagine the size of the files if all the properties were listed there? David Cox MindSource (UK) Limited Navision Solutions Partner Email: david@mindsource.co.uk Web: www.mindsource.co.uk

Yes of cause. The question goes more on the issue of making things as easy when have upgrades in mind. I’m only talking about if should change a property physically so that you easier can document this change (it’s harder to document somehing that is not there). Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster Navision Online User Group

Personally I think that whenever possibles no changes should be made. The probability that a property which defaults to “no” in version x will be default to “yes” in version x+1 is relatively low as this would lead to a revolution amongst developers. Therefore I would definitely tend to method two. ------- With best regards from Switzerland Marcus Fabian

For the situation as given, I would prefer method 1, as this makes it more clear you have changed the original value (and of course you would document it) John