Change Buy_from Vendor

Does anyone know of a quick way to change the vendor assigned to a posted purchase invoice? One of my clients former employees has posted a raft of documents to the wrong vendor account and I am loathe to raise credits against them as this will reflect poorly in the accounts… Any suggestions? Mark

Hello Mark, Doing credits is the slow but certain way of doing it. Unfortunately, if you are going to go down the data correction route, it is not just a matter of changing the Vendor No. on the Header & the Lines, there are aslo the Vendor Ledger Entries, Value Entries, the Source No. field in the Item Ledger (If applicable)… etc There is also the matter that the Vendor & VAT Posting groups might be different for the two vendors… When you look at the amount of checking & corrections required, crediting is the quick answer[:D]. In the (distant) past I have had to “fix” the consequences of “quick data fixes” like this that people have done to be “helpful” that have not covered all areas and it is ugly[xx(]. I recommend you use the credits.

And wouldn’t the Correction field in the Purchase Header table help you? From the online help:

quote:

Correction Field The Purchase Header Table Here you can define the entry as a corrective entry. You can use the field if you need to post a corrective entry to a vendor account. If you place a check mark in this field when posting a corrective entry, the program will post a negative debit instead of a credit or a negative credit instead of a debit. The Debit Amount field (or Credit Amount field) on the relevant account will then include both the original entry and the corrective entry, which will have no effect on the debit (or credit) balance. For example, you post a purchase on credit for LCY 500 to Accounts Payable. This entry is later determined to be incorrect so you make a corrective entry for LCY 500. On the Accounts Payable and relevant Vendor card, the Credit Amount field will include a credit of LCY 500 and a negative credit of LCY 500. As such, this purchase and subsequent corrective entry will have no net effect on the amount in the Credit Amount field. On the other hand, if you post the corrective entry as a regular entry, the Debit Amount and Credit Amount fields will both include an amount of LCY 500. You can see the amount that has accumulated for the relevant account in the Debit Amount field or Credit Amount field on the relevant G/L or Vendor Account card. If you want to use the corrective field, place a check mark in the field.

I would agree to Edward and Nelson. Do it the standard way here.

What will look worse: - invoices that were incorrectly posted by an employee and therefore credited in the system. - tax audit because your CPA can’t explain discrepancies in invoices that were sent to your customers and the actual postings in your system I think you should go the normal way and credit your invoices.

Whilst I agree that the best way to deal with this would be to credit and repost, the problem I have is that my client is closely tied to the public sector - in a Joint Venture with a County Council. All of their expenditure is monitored in microscopic detail by four sets of people: 1) The company Auditor (KpMG) 2) The County Council 3) The Board of the parent company 4) The National Audit Office The NAO in particular is quite keen that the books should be in what they refer to as “straight line” - by which they mean that there should be no visble anomalies. However, I am going to do the credit and repost for these documents and then beat to death anyone who makes similar (voluminous) mistakes in the future… Thanks to all for your help. Mark