certification - What does it take ?

can someone tell me what it takes to get certified as NF consultant ? What level of knowledge is required ? …? …? All info appreciated. Regards,

I started with an NSC, and after two weeks, when to the two-week training class at Navision-US. My programming experience was about 8 years old, with no object-orientated programming. The instructor told me that it was doable (passing the test), but that it was going to be quite difficult. The class was very hard. I spent most evenings studying the material until mid-night. The 8-hour project over weekend took me closer to 20 hours. I ended up passing the test. Hard work and extra help from the instructor led to my success. I would say if you have programming experience, then you should have no problems. Jack

It depends on what type of certification you want and what type of consulting to do. I have been through five weeks of training at Navision US HQ in Atlanta. First, I took two one-week courses called Navision 101 and Enterprise Foundations. These were a quick introduction to using the software. Neither of those classes were very difficult, although the second week was exhausting because there was a lot of material to cover. Before you take the classes, it is a good idea to study the program on your own. The course sequence has been changed: right now, I believe that it is an 8-day sequence, divided into one 5-day class called Enterprise Foundations and a 3-day implementation course. Once you pass those two courses, you are certified to go out and install the software. They give you a quick intro to C/SIDE but just enough to enable you to understand what your programmer is talking about. I also took a 2-week Solution Developer class, which was fairly difficult— though I didn’t have quite as bad a time as JTLane. When I took it, you had to have gone through Navision 101. Now you can take it with no Navision classes whatsoever. When I passed my exam, I became a Certified Navision Solution Developer. I also ended up taking and passing the Payroll/HR class— because a coworker who thought he had passed Payroll had actually flunked it, and he didn’t ahave time to go to the class, and we needed someone on staff who was Payroll certified. This class teaches you how to set up the payroll system, which is not easy. There are a couple of ways to get by without going to class. One is to study the material on your own without going to the classes themselves. Once you finish studying the material, you can take a “challenge exam” proctored by a third party. Most of the study guides and the instructor’s Powerpoint scripts, etc. are available online. I wouldn’t reccomend this, because the classes themselves are valuable— though in fact this was what my NSC is planning to do in the future whenever possible. You can also simply start working at an NSC without being certified, using a certified coworker’s license files(s) to run the program. This is a very bad idea, and it is a violation of Navision policy, but two of my coworkers are doing just that, and they are doing their jobs very well. To take the classes, you generally either have to be an employee of 1. an NSC, 2. a company which is planning to become an NSC in the near future, 3. some other type if Navision channel partner, or 3. Navision itself— but there may be exceptions from time to time. ------- Tim Horrigan