Cash Application

Our company often receives one check paying as many as 300-400 invoices. Many (perhaps 2-3%) of these invoices are short paid (for reasons the will require research before writing off) resulting in my problem. This is what I want to do but cannot seem to figure out how to do in Navision: Step 1 - Post my deposit by debiting the bank account and crediting the various customers in the deposit (check by check). Step 2 - Apply the check to the invoices paid (or visevera) This way when you look at the “applied entries” you can see all the invoices paid with that check. However, with all the short payments, using the standard “apply” feature does not accomplish this. As far as I can tell, in Step 1 above, I have to debit the bank account and credit the customer for each invoice paid. This creates not one payment entry for that check but 300-400. From a research/drill down standpoint this kinda sucks. Either I’m off base or has anyone written something like an “Application Journal” will allow the application based on an amount rather than a check mark??

Speetz: The official 3.60 NA (North America) product release recently unveiled states that functionality similar to this will be included in the 3.60 NA release. The key change is the ability to specify the application amount on each applies-to line. You may want to wait until September 16th (availability of first 3.60 NA beta) to see if this new functionality will satisify your needs. -Dave Hutchinson

Moved topic from “Errors” (about errors on this WEBSITE) to “Attain End User Question”

There is a way to get around the short paid application problem in the cash receipts journal. Here is an example: Invoice #1=$100; Invoice #2=$200; Invoice #3=$300 Customer pays all invoices, but short pays #1 by $10. 1)Enter check # and Customer # then set the applies-to ID for #2 & #3. Do not pick a bank account. Leave it blank. It will default to type G/L, but don’t enter an account #. Enter $ amount as -$500. 2)Use same check# and customer # on the second line. Set the applies-to ID to invoice #1. When you go back to the original screen, the amount will say -$100. Change the $ amount they paid to -$90. 3) Use the same check #. Enter the account type as bank account instead of customer # with a $ amount of $590. Again, leave the offset blank. It will default to G/L. For each short paid item, you will need to make a separate line. This way, you can choose the $ amount to apply to each invoice. Make sure you use the same check # for each line. This is what keeps it together as one journal entry. Also, make sure you use the document type on each line as “payment”. This will allow you to apply discounts, if available.

Sbanatt: Thanks! Duh! HeHe! dhutch: Thanks as well. I see that in Attain they have moved the application lines in Sbanatt’s suggestion above into a separte table. Similar to Item Application. I’ll be more version specific with my Q’s in the future…

Your welcome but I had to go to the person that enters cash receipt for that one. I showed her your response.