Can End User set up a new company?

One of those ubiquitous IT Consulting/Headhunter firms called me this week. They have a client who wants to use UITCH’s services for a lot of stuff instead of their NSC’s because 1.) their controller used to work for UITCH and 2.) they’re too cheap to pay the NSC’s hourly rate. They already have Report Designer, which means they can create new reports AND dataports, although I believe they cannot add code to these objects. They are thinking of getting Solution Developer and/or Application Builder (although you can pay for many person-hours of NSC billable labour for the price of either of those two products!) They would like to set up a 2nd company in their database, and transfer that company’s data from Quickbooks. Is this something they can do on their own, or do they need their NSC’s help? I told them in a conference call that they realy should let their NSC do it for them---- but they still want to do it themselves. I know they can create all the dataports inhouse (without any validation code, of course— but most NSC implementation employees don’t know how to put code in the dataport triggers anyway, so little is lost by having the end user do the dataports…) Does an end user license permit the end user to create a new company. And once the company is created, would they actually be able to load in the historical data? ------- Tim Horrigan horrigan@aol.com

Tim The number of companies they can create is defined on the license file, if they can create more companies, and as they already have the rights to dataport creation they can import data into a new company to their hearts content - baring the standard limitations of course. If the end user has the skills and license requirements there is nothing stopping them doing this. Obviously it is advisable to seek expert advice before embarking on a project of this kind - and they have asked you, an experienced Navision person - so it looks like they are moving in the right direction. If they create another company they can import data constantly until they are satisfied everything is covered, although they will probably be slower than the average NSC if they have the skill and committment they will get there in the end! As a humble NSC implementation employee can you explain this mysterious validation code on dataports for me? . . . . . very intriguing Steve

This is probably a dumb question but what is UITCH? Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner Edited by - daves on 2001 Nov 08 00:21:30

UITCH = “ubiquitous IT Consulting/Headhunter” firm. Pronounced as “ouch”, I presume? :slight_smile: Having finished an implementation with a lot of datatransfer recently, and being involved with two others at the moment, and based on my experience in general, I would say it is a uhhh, hmmm… very challenging project to do a proper datatransfer without being able to use the code sections in the dataports (data conversion, table lookups for additional data (i.e. adding the posting groups to the item ledger history), validation, and so on. Not to mention the bunch of batch reports you often need to set/complete the data after import (i.e. posting groups for customers and items). It’s not unusual to get rubbish out of the previous system, too often making datatransfer an underestimated part of the project. If this company wants to do it theirselves, nobody will stop them, but at least you should give 'm serious warnings about the problems and complication they will encounter. Things an experienced NSC knows how to deal with and can solve with a few “tricks”, whereas they will have a tough job in doing manual changes. John

Thanks John. I knew I was missing something obvious. I think I need to get my nap earlier in my day. By the way, I wholeheartedly agree with your response. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

Steven is correct that the number of companies a customer has depends on their license. And of course the customer can purchase more. Now as to the end-user wanting to do everything themselves - more power to them. If by chance they’ve actually got someone who truly understands the Navision development environment then they’ll have no problems. Otherwise, they are more than likely to encounter a few. Thus, if there are problems, you will be able to step in and fix the issues and make a good impression. In my previous life, I worked quite extensively with end-users who thought they understood development. It didn’t take long for us to come up with a billing plan that doubled or tripled our rate if we were expected to go through their code and fix things. Yes, there were a few times where the customer didn’t need our services; however, with over 500 customers - I can count them on one hand. I hope all works out. /Michael

As an end user myself, I can say it is not that hard to input beginning balances into Navision. The hardest part is learning which fields are required and which aren’t. If you are working with a good Solution center, they will provide that info for you. If you know MS-Access you can add all the default Navision information to your existing information and then you just have to create a few data ports. The only draw back is how much time you have to learn the program, if you are already experienced with Navision it should not be a problem. What I did was create a test company and practiced with the importing into it. If things didn’t work out, I could just delete it and start over. I imported around 25,000 items, 4000 customers and 700 vendors and two years worth of sales history with only one batch that was wrong, I just used Access to create a reversing batch and then entered the corrected one. In regard to using code in the data port to perform data checking, you can do that in your access database which can link to your Navision tables to pull the correct posting groups and ect. I would recommend it to most Navision users because you will learn more about the program doing this process then you will ever learn just using Navision that someone else set up for you. Just my opinion David Mavis

My 2c. I have done way to many data conversions to leave this topic alone. As great as Navision is, dataport writing takes much more than creating a list of fields. According to Navision “standards” (made you laugh already, huh?) there should be an INIT statement in the onBeforeImport trigger. Navision treats two consequetive delimiters as one, ruining the data map. Fields have to be validated, and validations have to go in the just-right order. Just-right can be only determined by looking into the validation routines which most end-users have no access to. My point - have someone who knows the whereabouts do it. IMHO, dataporting looks too easy, when it is not, and wrong impressions lead to unwise decisions… Alex