Can Barcode include serveral field infomation?

In general, a barcode only inclue the content of some specific filed, such as item no or serial number or order no. Can we combine those content to one barcode? For example: The warehouse staff only need to scan the goods only once and then he can read which item it is and which order no and which order line no it belong to. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

You just need to format all the fields into a string and then print that string as a barcode. For instance; ‘’ + FORMAT(Quantity) + ‘-’ + “No.” + '’ which would give you the Quantity and the Item No. in a string for the barcode. Reading is a matter of reading the string in as one, passing that to a string and then breaking it down into its constituent parts.

It sure can! This just requires some programming and string parsing on the OnValidate trigger either on your form or on the table.

quote:

In general, a barcode only inclue the content of some specific filed, such as item no or serial number or order no. Can we combine those content to one barcode? For example: The warehouse staff only need to scan the goods only once and then he can read which item it is and which order no and which order line no it belong to. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Originally posted by fjhxl - 2004 Nov 16 : 01:48:59

Remember to use a bar-code font that includes alphanumeric characters. You might also want to use some form of check-digit algorithm.

quote:

Can we combine those content to one barcode?

A barcode can contain mostly what you want it to contain. (Ofcourse, like what has been said, with a little Programming validation to filter the right information). I think by having “Order No.”, “Line No.”, QTY, “Item No.” (“Serial No.” or “Barcode No.”) you are gong to have a very long barcode. I am not sure of the limits on length of barcode but “128” type length barcodes should be able to be scanned by most scanners! [:D]

The best solution for you is 2D code. It’s not very common but really great. You can write in such code a lot of information. It is possible to print it from Navision. Unfortunately scanners to scan 2D code are quite expensive.

Oh, guys, thanks for your wonderful advise.

quote:

You just need to format all the fields into a string and then print that string as a barcode. For instance; ‘’ + FORMAT(Quantity) + ‘-’ + “No.” + '’ which would give you the Quantity and the Item No. in a string for the barcode. Reading is a matter of reading the string in as one, passing that to a string and then breaking it down into its constituent parts.
Originally posted by godders - 2004 Nov 16 : 05:59:06

And I have tried to format serveral field into a string, which seperator is charactors such as &,%,|,@,# etc. And print is succeful. But when I scan it and read the barcode infomation to textbox. The whole string is read out only if the seperator is “-”. For example: If 11#22#33 is printed on barcode lable, the scanner output “112233” into the textbox, not my expected string “11#22#33”. Only when 11–22–33 is printed, it can read as “11–22-33” Any ideas? Is it related to the scanner or sth else? My Nav version is 3.01B. Thanks!

What barcode symbology are you using? Code 3 of 9 is simple to use because there are no check digits and you only have to begin and end the barcode with a *. However, it only supports a limited number of characters: digits (0-9), uppercase letters (A-Z), and a few special characters (space, $, %, +, -, ., /). If you are using 3 of 9 then you will not be able to code the # character. I would recommend looking into Code 128. It is more difficult to use because it requires a check digit and special start and stop codes but can encode all 128 ASCII characters and is much denser so you can pack more data into a shorter bar code. As far as including data other than an identifier in the barcode there is a UCC/EAN standard for representing additional data such as lot number, serial number, weights, and volumes.

quote:

| …seperator charactors such as &,%,|,@,# etc… |
| - |

By default, Code 39 (Code 3 of 9) barcode can only represent the following 44 characters:

• Uppercase letters A-Z
  • Numbers 0-9
    • (minus or dash)
  • . (period or full stop)
  • (space)
    • (asterisk)
  • $ (dollar sign)
  • / (forward slash)
    • (plus sign)
  • % (percent sign)
    Note that the asterisk is reserved for use as the Start/Stop character, and must not occur in the ‘data’ to be encoded. So, you cannot use &,|,@,# as field delimiters because of a limitation of the default Code 39 bar code symbol set…

[Edit] Oops – Jack obviously types faster than I – he beat me to the answer by 6 min 12 secs…!