Bom Version ?

Hi All, Implementation Question… What is the best apporach to accomplish the following. Consider the following product structure : - top level (level 0) : product A (MTS) - A consists of (level 1) : product B1 (MTO)& B2 (MTO) - B2 consists of (level 2) : product C1 (MTO) & C2 (MTO) A has a BOM with B1 and B2 as components. B2 has a BOM with C1 and C2 as components. Creating a production order for A makes : - a production order line for A (components B1 & B2, a routing) - a production order line for B2 (components C1 & C2, a routing) However, sometimes they produce B2 in stock. When they produce A, they want to be able to have the possibility : - to work as described before - to use the B2’s from stock, combine with a B1 te get A. Any ideas how to accomplish this ? I tried with phantom BOM’s, but I had problems with my routings in that case.

Hi Gunther As the decision is a human one as to whether the stock is used or B2 is manufactured specifically for the parent A then you have to have manual intervention on every demand fulfillment of B2/A - to make or not to make, that is the question. I think I would be tempted to decide upon one method for the manufacture of B2, but if this was not possible I would make B2 make-to-stock, and in the instances where I wanted to make it specifically for a parent, I would raise it manually. Its messy and takes the decision away from the computer - if you run MRP you will get messages about over production. But hey - if its the real life situation we will have to deal with it somehow!

Hi Gunther Thinking about you subject title - you could have two BOM versions, but the item B2 would have to be listed twice, B2 (MTS) and B2 (MTO). This will allow you two requisition methods against the same item, however as I am sure you will already have contemplated this will give you two item numbers for the same item, two inventory levels for the same item, etc etc and all the added complications this gives you - but it is a way of adding in a more streamlined approach to the manual intervention, but still a bit messy! [:D]

quote:

Originally posted by SBWEAVER
Hi Gunther As the decision is a human one as to whether the stock is used or B2 is manufactured specifically for the parent A then you have to have manual intervention on every demand fulfillment of B2/A - to make or not to make, that is the question.

Yes the decision is (for now) a human one. Do you think it’s possible to have a NON manual intervantion ? Foe example, when there is stock of B2 : make A using the B2 from stock. When there is no B2 in stock, make a full A BOM explosion.

quote:

I think I would be tempted to decide upon one method for the manufacture of B2, but if this was not possible I would make B2 make-to-stock, and in the instances where I wanted to make it specifically for a parent, I would raise it manually.

Can you be a bit more specific on this one please ? So you are saying : set B2 MTS, but raise it manually when needed differently ? What do you mean with that ? Thanks a lot !

Hi Gunther Why not set the item up as MTS and when running MRP it will either pick from stock or get you to raise another order for the component? Is this some further batch related issue whereby the whole order must be produced from either stock or direct from manufacture?

Steven, Thank you (as usual). Setting the item to MTS is indeed helping. When there is stock, B2 is used from stock (no order to create B2). When B2 is at 0 inventory a production order for B2 (and levels below) is created. Is there a way to get a production order for B2 (and levels below) although there is stock ? OK, one can set the item B2 to MTO for once or something, but is there an alternative to that ? Thanks

Hi Gunther I had a play around trying to push the production from the sales order planning, but to no avail [:(]. I think due ot the nature of the requisition system being set once, if you want to get a production order for B2 even though stock exists I think you would either have to raise it manually - because you “know” on this occasion you want to manufacture all levels, or I suppose you could alter the requisition system of B2 to MTO to get the order to generate (I think this would work but have not tested it). Whichever way you go it will be messy because of the conflicting nature of the replenishment requirements of the item. I do not think there is a slick and easy solution to this. Sorry! Have fun anyway [:D]

If a particular item (B2, in your case) is required to be produced as MTS under some of the circumstances, it is advisable to set such Item to ‘MTS’ rather than to ‘MTO’. It is not possible to assign(without customization) both MTS and MTO to a single Item and set any other parameters to decide as to when the MTS or MTO to be used during planning process. Regards. Kashinath

Hi GUnther, What version are you using and what granules are you using. In 3.60 you can use the stock keeping units to have 2 different Requisition Methods for the Same Item with 2 SKU cards (loc A and Loc B). YOu can create a Production forecast for B2 Apart from Sales Orders. In the Manufacturing Setup Untick the COmbined MRP and MPS option.

Hi Prashanth Have you tried this? Seems like a viable solution if it works - where are you consuming the components on the SKU card - specific or blank? I am assuming this drills down from the parent SKU and associated component SKU records depending upon the location consumption flag? Gunthers only issue then would be to get the end user to load the sales order on the correct location - depending whether they make MTO or MTS for the components, which is still the manual intervention at one stage.

For now I think I’ll stick to Steven’s suggestion. The SKU is probably worth while looking at, but I’ll do that in a later stage.

I feel following points need consideration: 1.Through using the concepts of SKUs, one needs to change the location, if he wants to change the Requisition/Manufacturing policy of a particular Item. 2.one can not set the location for components in the Sales Orders. 3.If one wants to change the location for components, he can do so in Production orders, manually or one time selection of Location for componensts can be done in manufacturing set up. It applys for all the components and for all the Production orders. By the way, what are the circumstances under which a Top level Item(A, in this case) happens to be MTS and Lower level componets(B1, B2, C1 and C2) happen to be MTOs?

Sorry, the top level A is MTO, all levels beneath A are also MTO except for the B2 item which is MTS. For now we can stock with the idea that when there is no B2 in stock, a full explosion is done, while when there is B2 only the first level is produced.