bi tool/reporting tool for navision

I am thinking what are the different bi tools around. What will be a good bi tool when implementing navision. Would it be jet? or would qlikview be good? Any information would be useful. Thanks

Hi,

I really depends on what kind of business intelligence you want. Is it just simple reports? Or do you want online interactive drill downs and lots of fancy features?

Jet Reports is good for the more simple static reports.

You can also use Navision’s own Business Analytics, where you can create some really fancy interactive reports.

Another options is also to use Microsoft Excel. Using Excel 2007 you can actually create some very nice and fancy reports with Navision.

We use SQL Reporting Services / BI for all of our reporting. No complaints yet.

We spend 6 months in my previous job and tons of money on a SQL Reporting Services / BI - but even though we had some of the best BI people on the project then it never good good enough so we ended up scrapping the whole project and go with Jet Reports (as a low end solution - but it worked) instead.

I think the key to getting any BI solution to a point that the company likes it is testing and data validation. There’s a reason it’s called BUSINESS Intelligence. There are plenty of solutions…so as long as as the company isn’t expecting a data warehouse to appear from the sky with everything they’ve ever wanted.[:D]

BI is not the same for everyone. Some users only expect a rather simple report, that you could actually just as well do directly from Navision, while other expect the big data warehouse based solution.

The key to success here (as in all projects) is really to make your expectations perfectly clear before you start the project. It’s very easy to overcomplicate any project, BI projects are no exception.

But a Reporting Services solution based on a data warehouse (even a simple datawarehouse) is automatically a much bigger and more complex project than a solution “just” based on a report tool like Jet Reports or a solution in MS Excel.

I think I am going ahead with qlikview. It seems to be a easier to use tool to create more dynamic reports than jet. I think there is some limitations about it but i doubt that the current data that we have is going to hit the limitation cap. I just meet up with a sales consultant of nav who told me that qlikview has some limitation for mass deployment but i don’t think we will hit the cap and we are far away from the cap whatever cap we have i think there will probably be a workaround solution. Might also be possible to deploy another bi tool for the reports that have such limitation. I believe that qlikview is faster to build and easier to maintain than jet reports. Technologicial advantage will sway to different companies as they develop better methodology to deliver value cheaper and faster.

I think the strong points of Jet Reports are the following :

• The reporting is done in Excel, so it’s already a familiar tool for most business user

• It’s seamlessly integrated with NAV

• You can refresh your report in real time

Check the video above :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HCFHf7bQsc

To be honest I don’t know QlikView, but I was once invovled in a NAV Installation, where a Qlikview consultant spent 3 weeks designing the datawarehouse required by clickview before being able to write a single report

Would be nice to get the feedback from someones who has both worked with JetReports & QlikView

Business Intelligence cover a lot of areas.

Do you want Reporting & Budgeting/Forecasting. A lot of tools are available to do just the reporting side - but very few options are availabel for write back to the SQL AS database.

Integrated BI should have Monitoring, Analysing and Planning (Microsoft BI). A lot of the reporting is availabel through Reporting Services and ‘free’ tools. It used to be that Planning was available with Performance Point - but this component was dropped last year - per the MS BI partner site the following tools are listed http://www.microsoft.com/bi/partners/find-a-partner.aspx

Clarity & CALUMO

DATA WAREHOUSE FROM THE SKY?

What if you could have a data warehouse installed and running doing 85-95% of the management reports you ever wanted within 4-5 days - including user training?

What if business users could access the data warehouse through Excel Pivot Tables and even design fantastic reports in Excel and then just push a button to publsih the Excel sheet as a SSRS reports for publication to SharePoint or the web?

What if you could use the data warehouse to audit your NAV database so that you could be sure that the numbers coming out of NAV all reconciled and were 100% accurate and provavble down to the lowest level transaction in NAV?

Click your heels Dorothy and watch your head - here comes that Data Warehouse from the SKY - www.Precision-Point.com Certified for Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

DATA WAREHOUSE FROM THE SKY?

What if you could have a data warehouse installed and running doing 85-95% of the management reports you ever wanted within 4-5 days - including user training?

What if business users could access the data warehouse through Excel Pivot Tables and even design fantastic reports in Excel and then just push a button to publsih the Excel sheet as a SSRS reports for publication to SharePoint or the web?

What if you could use the data warehouse to audit your NAV database so that you could be sure that the numbers coming out of NAV all reconciled and were 100% accurate and provavble down to the lowest level transaction in NAV?

Click your heels Dorothy and watch your head - here comes that Data Warehouse from the SKY - www.Precision-Point.com Certified for Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

We use Business Objects in my current company. We have had no problems with this.

Thanks!
CB

I’ve been working with BI4Dynamics which has a pre-built Data Warehouse and cubes in SSAS. I think it’s a ncie and affordable solution. Very fast to deploy and works nicely together with Excel 2007 as front-end.

Rgds

Lars

BI4Dynamics is installed and deployed within a couple of hours. You don’t need any technical or specific knowledge. Only think you have to do is to follow the 5 steps process which is documented and recorder. You can find in on the web page @ http://www.bi4dynamics.com/en/business-analytics-free-trial

Beside that BI4Dynamics has Data Warehouse which means that the painful process of building Data Warehouse is out. BI4Dynamics comes with prebuilt report, dashboards and is up and running in just couple of hours.

Jet Reports has just released Jet Enterprise, it ships with standard NAV cubes.

Add on cubes for LS Retail and Trim It are also available

By a simple drag & drop Jet Enteprise will generate highly optimized code (SQL/MDX), create your table and fields, manage your staging, datawarehouse databases…

Obviously managing custom fields which are not part of the standard application is easy to handle

If you know Analysis Services, you will realized that Jet Enteprise will boost your productivity, what take hours to do in Visual Studio will only take you minutes in Jet Enterprise.

Check it out and you will never look back.

Obviously I’m biased [:D]

Just register to the upcoming webinar to know more about Jet Reports Enteprise edition :

http://jetenterprise.jetreports.com/

This is very informative and helpful. Thank you all guys for posting. though this is not an issue i am resolving, i learned a lot just by following this post. Need to post a comment for this very useful post to be included in my list for future viewing ;o)

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=1fc6486907d2b11762ab04150&id=e604e6e664&e

You should try this tool for demo period. You can generate your own reports. www.navcube.com.