Best way to send data from Microsoft bot to Dynamics NAV

Hi folks,

I want to create a bot with Azure bot service that will need to send the data it gets directly from the user to Dynamics NAV. Is there a direct way to do this (since both services are Microsoft), and if not, what do you recommend as a way to send the data to NAV? (Data might include new columns for tables or commands to create, update, or delete tables, probably other requirements that I don’t know yet, I’m new to NAV)

Thank you

Hi Kalyanbl,

Welcome to DUG. It’s not somehting I have tried myself, but if you are on the newest version of NAV, then I’m sure that you can do it.

You may also be able to get a little help from this post:

https://danishnaglekar.wordpress.com/2018/02/10/build-your-own-intelligent-bot-in-azure-1-4/

This is integrating to Dynamics 365 for Sales.

Welcome to DUG and to the NAV world.

I don’t want to ruin your day, but you won’t be able to do this on your own. You have to learn how NAV works and how to code in it :wink:

There are no standard functionality/library to this - so you have to do everything yourself.

There are many ways of interacting with NAV… and depending on your your NAV version you can use the web-service functionality in NAV.

The web-service functionality is typically that you publish a page as a web service - but before you can do that you have to do a number of things

1. create a table than holds your data

2. Create a page than can be used on the web services and as a monitor inside NAV

3. Create a codeunit that does something with the data in the created table.

Furthermore you have to do some setup of Services and user permisison inside and outside of NAV to get it up and running.

Eriks suggest is nice but you have to start somewhere else - Youtube - Find the Microsoft Dynamics NAV channel and watch some of the videos.

Thanks

PalleA

I agree completely when it comes to learning NAV. It’s much more than just learning to program it, you need to have an understanding of how the system works.

But I was under the impression that Kalyanbl was not going to develop this inside NAV himself, but that most was to be done externally.

If I’m wrong, and Kalyan wants to do this and have never worked with neither bot services or Dynamics NAV, then this is definitely NOT a beginners project. You’re better of finding a developer/partner who have experience in this area, and let them help you.