Best configuration for SQL Server and Attain 3.7?

We are in the process of purchasing hardware for our SQL server to run Attain 3.7. I am looking for feedback on our specs from any DBA’s out there. We are not getting allot of support with regards to the suggested SQL config and I could use a hand. Let me preface this by saying I am in no way a DBA admin. We have approximately 250 users with a requirement to support approximately 75 of those users on Citrix after our upgrade from Navision 2.01B C-side. C-side database is currently ~15 GB. We will be adding between 20-30 users for the next 2 years. I have no idea if this is a high write, or high read database, or how many transactions are posted/done during a day/week/month. Server 1: Attain 3.7 Server; already have the specs for this. Gig-e copper connection between the 2 servers (crossover cable) Server 2: SQL Server 2000 on either Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server (don’t know if Attain 3.7 will run on Server 2003) Compaq DL580 4 x 1.4Ghz with 512KB onboard cache XEON processors 4GB Ram…What is the ideal amount of RAM here? How much can Attain 3.7 support? Compaq 6404 Controller card (4 channels, 256 MB Cache total) Supports RAID 1, 1+0, and RAID 5. Onboard 5i controller card (2 channels) Array 1: Channel 1 of 6404 controller card. Database array RAID 1 with online spare. 5 x 72.8 GB 15,000 RPM Ultra320 Disks. So 145.6 GB (2 disks) mirrored (2 disks), and 1 online spare. Out of the three RAID options I have to choose from is this going to give me the highest performance with fault tolerance in Attain 3.7 and SQL Server for the database array? Array 2: Channel 2 of 6404 controller card. Log file array RAID 1 with online spare. 3 x 72.8 GB 15,000 RPM Ultra320 Disks. So 72.8 GB (1 disk) mirrored (1 disk), and 1 online spare. Out of the three RAID options I have to choose from is this going to give me the highest performance with fault tolerance in Attain 3.7 and SQL Server for the log file array? Should I consider another RAID configuration since this is a high write array? Array 3: Channel 1 of onboard 5i controller. Page file array RAID 0, or RAID 1. 1 or 2 x72.8 GB 15,000 RPM Ultra320 Disks. I am not sure how SQL utilizes the page file so any help is appreciated. Array 4: Channel 2 of onboard 5i controller. OS array RAID 1. 2 x 18.2 GB 15,000 RPM Ultra320 Disks. Is there a need for another Array for tempDB, or does Attain even need a tempDB? Thanks in advance for any help provided. I just want to make sure I don’t miss something here on the config of the SQL server.

You don’t need to have a Navision 3.7 client running on your Server platform that is hosting your SQL Server. So issues about server-side memory, or OS platform compatibility, have no relevance for the Navision client on your SQL Server machine. Navision makes some but little use of tempdb (this will probably change when Yukon comes along though), so today it doesn’t need a separate disk. Unfortunetely it is more important to know what tasks your user’s are doing rather than simply the quantity of concurrent users, when determining the stress this system will be under.

Moved to SQL Forum.