Beginer restore problem

Hi

I just want to restore a company in my local Pc (Windows XP sp3). Originaly the company is Nav 5.0 on an SQL2005 Server.

The steps I have made:

1 Remove the service pack 3

1 download and install the DEMO Nav 5.0

1. install service pack 3

2. Create a new Database

3. Arrange rights for me to the database. (SUPER)

6 Delete the Demo database.

7 Restore the company to the new database from a backup.

1. arrange right for the company (SUPER)

9.Open the company.

My questions:

a.,Is that normal that I can see every Tables in object navigator and I can run it . But I cannot see Forms, Reports, menusuit, etc. Only the Tables If it is normal how can I import those.

b., In my restored company is the Navigation Pane also empty. (on the left side there is written only “shortcuts” and “Empty Menu”. How can I import only the Navigation Panes? To telling the truth in Demo company I try to create a Menu. But I delete the whole Demo database.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks

Gabor

Hello

these regards for your question:

a. Is that normal that I can see every Tables in object navigator and I can run it . But I cannot see Forms, Reports, menusuit, etc. Only the Tables If it is normal how can I import those?

Answer: its normal for you that you can see all the tables in the object navigator and you can run it too. But YES you cannot see the Forms, Report, Menusuit, etc. These depends on the license your using.

b. In my restored company is the Navigation Pane also empty. (on the left side there is written only “shortcuts” and “Empty Menu”. How can I import only the Navigation Panes? To telling the truth in Demo company I try to create a Menu. But I delete the whole Demo database.

Answer: Once you create a user in Navision like for example SUPER. SUPER user role can access everything but after it you need to add also ALL role for accessing all the menus available for Navision.

Regards

Michael

This means you imported a company only. You did not import objects and data common to all companies.

Thank you for the quick answer. I was looking after my license at my local pc, and I see it is good only for NAV 3.xx or NAV 4.0. So I must change it. Or can be that the info was not correct from the backup, I get from the company and on the server is also NAV 4.0. Then I must download from somewhere NAV 4.0, and try the hole procedure again.

Thank you once more. It spares me a few time.

As David said already, you must restore Data AND Objects.

But you can do it only if:

1.your backup contains Objects
2.DB where you restore into DOES NOT contain objects - in other words, it’s newly created with Database / New.

If Cronus objects were there (deleting Company, even the only one, doesn’t delete objects), they would not be overwritten, even backup has them, but you need the objects from YOUR original DB, not standard ones, as yours may be modified.

Instal Client ONLY - there is such option, when you run setup.
Run it, create new DB
Restore full backup.

This will end up with Native DB, if you want SQL, take additional steps installing SQL Server - but SQL Express is limited in DB size.

Needless to say, versions must match - but v4 Client you can find here in Downloads section, NAV official files. Find the appropriate localisation, as there are some other files that must match.

BTW - why you simply can’t get Navision CD/DVD from the company backup comes from? That for sure will match the backup.

This is NOT correct. You can always see full list, license controls access to them, including Tables.