basic hardware for an fast Navision server 2.6

Can anyone give me a solution for what is needed for hardware for a fast server. We still work with NT4 and win95/98 clients nettype is Tcp/ip an d we have about 100 users. Database Nav. is 12 Gb.

Tony, There really isn’t one perfectly good answer, but I’d be glad to offer suggestions. *** It would be imperative for anyone wishing to implement a new Navision server to read the Navision documentation, OS documentation, and Server documentation before implementing any of these suggestions!!! *** For you setup, you would probably look at any of the “Big Name” companies for the basic box (ie. IBM, Compaq, HP, Dell). I wouldn’t get anything less than a 1GHz processor, but I think 1GHz to 1.26GHz are the common options currently. For a really robust server, consider Xeon processors, which have options up to 2.2GHz now. Dual/quad processors are good options to consider. You could probably make good use of a Dual processor, depending on whether or not WinNT4 handles it (I can’t remember if it does). Best read the documentation. For RAM, 512MB is a minimum I would use! Any of the companies listed above will give you the correct buss speed RAM to match the machine, of course. Because your company is at 100 users, perhaps you’d best look at 1GB of RAM as your base, and if you have room in your budget after everything else is setup, go higher. Hard Drive will be your key to a powerful setup. I wouldn’t go IDE; you want SCSI all the way, either 10k or 15k speed! Check to see if the system supports RAID. RAID 1 (Mirror) would be a good option. IMPORTANT It is very important that you read the Navision documentation regarding RAID systems and which types will work with your database!!! Another thing that the v2.5 database handles is the multi-part database (under Expand Database → Advanced). You will need to read up on this concept as well. Basically you are able to expand the database file onto several hard drives. The benefit to you is that if you split your database over two physical (not logical) hard drives, it speeds up access for reading and writing because two hard drives are active at once for a read or transaction. In theory, a write transaction for a user would be twice as fast because the amount of data to be written is shared between two drives, speeding up overall network and system performance. For you to use this type of option, you need to have two or more physical hard drives installed. If you use a RAID 1 setup, that would double the number of hard drives you would require, over and above. If you do regular backups, perhaps you wouldn’t find the RAID 1 neccessary, but I personally would never install a server without a RAID 1 controller. A neat trick I’ve used before to speed up network performance is to put two network cards into the one server if you are serving two different segments of networks (ie. Two hubs). This way you can separate the hubs and reduce traffic for the overall network (thus reducing collisions). This ONLY works if you don’t need to have shared resources such as printers between both segments, basically because one segment isn’t able to see the other. Another thing that is sometimes overlooked is to make sure you have a video card with sufficient memory in it for however you wish to run the display. If you are only hooking up a old 14" monitor and aren’t worried about showing more than 256 colours, then you can get away with a 4MB video card. If you are going for a high-powered display (1024x768 @ 16M colours, say), then upgrade the video. If you don’t, the video processor ends up storing video information in system RAM, creating minor reductions in overall performance and available RAM. For the price to upgrade a video card, just bit the bullet and get it. That’s about all I can think of for this sitting. Regards! Kristopher Webb Kelar Corporation, Canada

Navision doesn’t take advantage of dual or more processors when using native db. It has actually been said to decrease Navision performance in some situations. Don’t know how the SQL-version handles more than one processor. Regards

quote:

Originally posted by ohlfert: Navision doesn’t take advantage of dual or more processors when using native db. It has actually been said to decrease Navision performance in some situations. Don’t know how the SQL-version handles more than one processor. Regards

Really? I thought the property of using a dual processor was a function of the OS, not the Application. The OS is responsible for memory allocation, etc? But that’s interesting to know! Thanks! Kristopher Webb Kelar Corporation, Canada

IBM in 1998 made a “IBM Netfinity Server & Navision Financials Performance Report”. This report among other things say: “The main process of the Navision Financials application cannot be scaled across multiple processors, so adding extra CPU’s does not improve performance. In fact, handling multiple processors may add a small overhead. The test comparing a single Pentium Pro with a 512K cache against a dual Pentium Pro configuration shows a 4% degradation in throughput. On the other hand, running a similar test for the Pentium II (also with 512K Cache) shows a very small improvement - 4% - moving from one to two processors. In both cases, the variation is within ‘experimental error’ so we attach little significance to these results. Navision load”. But as you may recognize the report is a bit old, so i don’t know how things look today. You should be able to obtain the full report through the Navision Partner site. Regards

You can use more than 1 CPU if navision based on MSSQL or server has other MSSQL/ORACLE servers installed to reduce CPU utilization. Native navision’s server doesn’t requires multiple CPU systems. Business Applications Programmer Sertified Navision Developer SIA “Sintegra” Latvia

In addition: navision’s server can use memory CACHE only <900 MB. If server is dedicated then 1G of RAM is enough. BUT you must have very fast LAN and fast HDDs (SCSII 10000rmp, multi-disk volumes (hmmm… spanned or stripped?)). Business Applications Programmer Sertified Navision Developer SIA “Sintegra” Latvia

Thanks for the advice to all the repliers, now i can go into discussion with our solution centre.