Barcode Printing through Navision

Hi All I want to generate and print barcode using navision in my couple of navision reports. Any help, advice on this would be great. Cheers

Hi Amit, Your query is certainly interesting, but we should restrict our forum to localisation issues. Plus you will get better ideas if you post this query in the general forum. [:)] Best wishes.

quote:

Originally posted by amitahlawat
Hi All I want to generate and print barcode using navision in my couple of navision reports. Any help, advice on this would be great. Cheers

Amit, You can generate & print barcodes from Navision Reports. Regards Vishal

hi vishal thanks for taking interest in this topic, it would great if you put some more light on this topic like how can we generate barcode using navision and print barcode on navision report.

Amit, I have to stop this topic here! Please follow the advise of your moderator. The topic you’re debating here in the Indian topic is NOT a local Indian problem, but a question that is of interest to ALL NAVISION USERS - WORLDWIDE! So I’m not doing this to stop you from asking this question, but to do it in a place where it belongs. The Indian forum is for local Indian topics, topics that are of local/national importance, like local tax issues, government reports, language issues, need for special Indian add-ons, etc. Please continue the debate in the “Navision Developer Forum”.

Topic has been reopened and moved from forum “India” to forum “Navision Development”.

Thank you Erik for moving & unlocking the topic. with regards vaibhav

You can create a textbox on a report and use the barcode font to format the textbox. You should test what fonts are working from Navision. I hope that helps, Anu

Thanks Anu lets see whether Amit did it this way or has some alternate way to work with. Amit Please do provide feed back here so that Anu & rest of all know. wish u all the best vaibhav

I always recommend interfacing with a third party bar code labeling program. The prices of these are reasonable, they offer layout design features, scaling features, compatibility with a wide variety of printers and they generally are reasonably priced.

I second Dave’s advice. While you can utilize fonts, you are very limited in the symbology and, depending upon how the bar code is being used and the types of controls you need, you cannot create a checksum in a font-style bar code.

What about if you just want to bar code an address, do you still recommend going to a 3rd party software? We can get siginificant discount on mailings if we simply add the barcode below the address. Thank you for the reply

Dave, could you recommend some possible 3rd party bar code program. It would be helpful to know some productos that can easily be integrated with Navision. I have been working in the past with a bar code font (www.azalea.com) and it has been quite easy to set up the checksum calculation (EAN13, EAN8 and UPC’s), though I agree that there are limitations, e.g. size of the font so that the barcode reades recognizes the code. Saludos Nils

In the past I’ve used Label Matrix which worked quite well and and was well supported, at least for my needs. About a year ago, the maker of Label Matrix was purchased by Teklynx which you will find at http://www.teklynx.com. I used the simplest possible interface (an ASCII file and SHELL command to invoke the label printing) but several levels of interface are feasible. I have used products like Label Matrix in a number of applications and programming languages. I have tried the “build your own” approach, but the eventual cost was always much higher than buying and interfacing a good specialty tool, especially when the tool is relatively inexpensive. I would use some third party tool that was certified by the Post Office even for the simple bar codes used for letter sorting. The costs of potential problems are way too high to justify saving a few dollars on the software (you could waste postage, printing costs, marketing money, etc. if your postal bar codes aren’t perfect; plus you could have incredible hassles, even fines, if the finger of blames points back at you - it isn’t worth the risk).

Hallo I generate my own Barcode with ESC-Secquence you get a TextVariable length 200 as Field for the lines on the Barcode. In Section you get 5 control with source “DELCHR(Etikett[1],’>’)” [1-5] and in the Code Sequence of the Section you can format your Fields and Text like 1. row" an start a printer with esc Etikett[1]:=’^XA^MCY^XZ^XA^MMP^PRA^LH+0,0’; Etikett[2]:=’^FO290,54^BY2,2.5,40^BCN,50,Y,N^FV’ + WENr; Etikett[2]:= Etikett[2] + ‘^FS’; Etikett[3]:=’^FO35,75^A0N,32,32^CI6^FV’ + ‘WE-Nr.:’; Etikett[3]:= Etikett[3] + ‘^FS’; Etikett[4]:=’^PQ1,0,1,N^PON’; Etikett[5]:=’^MCN^XZ’; // ‘+ WE-Nr.: is Text; + WENr is a Variable (in Germany for all Barcode Texts you can format first with Artnr := CONVERTSTR(Artnr,‘ä’,’{’); Artnr := CONVERTSTR(Artnr,‘ö’,’|’); Artnr := CONVERTSTR(Artnr,‘ü’,’}’); Artnr := CONVERTSTR(Artnr,‘Ä’,’[’); Artnr := CONVERTSTR(Artnr,‘Ö’,’’); Artnr := CONVERTSTR(Artnr,‘Ü’,’]’); This Code is testet on a Zebra label Printer grüssle Gerd

Dave, Thank you for your information on bar coding postal address. I would just like to make certain I understand your position that it is best to use add on software than try to bar code from with in Navision. So does the software you are suggesting print a label? or can it be incorporated right from within Navision? We print a very large number of invoices a day & mail them out. We need the bar code to print directly on the invoice so it can be read through the window envelope. Thank you again for all your contributions to this web site.

quote:

Originally posted by daves
In the past I’ve used Label Matrix which worked quite well and and was well supported, at least for my needs. About a year ago, the maker of Label Matrix was purchased by Teklynx which you will find at http://www.teklynx.com. I used the simplest possible interface (an ASCII file and SHELL command to invoke the label printing) but several levels of interface are feasible. I have used products like Label Matrix in a number of applications and programming languages. I have tried the “build your own” approach, but the eventual cost was always much higher than buying and interfacing a good specialty tool, especially when the tool is relatively inexpensive. I would use some third party tool that was certified by the Post Office even for the simple bar codes used for letter sorting. The costs of potential problems are way too high to justify saving a few dollars on the software (you could waste postage, printing costs, marketing money, etc. if your postal bar codes aren’t perfect; plus you could have incredible hassles, even fines, if the finger of blames points back at you - it isn’t worth the risk).

I have to agree. I did not do interface NAvision - Barcode yet, but I did do it a lot with Wonderware products. It’s much cheaper and more reliable to go for the 3rd part approack. you design the label in the barcode software and send an ascii file from Navision to a specific directory and you have your lable. When you want the barcode on your invoice on the other hand, you might want to buy a barcode font on the net.

You have to install a BC_ean font on the computer (which you usually have to buy) and in the properties of the report field that holds the barcode you you put the name of the font, in the field Fontname.

In response to skski’s last question on my position: I recommend a third party bar code label printer in all cases where the item to be printed either is a label or envelope or similar form where there is a relatively small amount of text OR where the consequences of a bad printer are large (e.g.labels on product being sent to General Motors or to WalMart) OR where you want compatibility with a variety of printers (e.g. you’re creating an add-on). It is feasible to create an interface so that the connection is seamless from the user’s point of view. In cases where the application is totally in-house (and you have more or less total control and quick access to resolve problems) or where the bar code is a convenience factor on a complex text document (as might be the case printing the invoice number on an invoice), then the use of a bar code font on a standard laser printer may be the reasonable choice. Even in these latter cases, you may want to have a QC process where you check the readability of the printed results with a sampling frequency to be determined (again) by the potential cost of an error.