Bar Coding

Hi I have a client looking to scan goods received and items depatched in the warehouse… is there an add on that can deal with this and has anyone any thoughts on it? Thanks[;)]

Hi Fleur There is the add-on in Navision for handling the barcoding and general communication in the system from an informatoin perspective. You can utilise Bar-coding and ADCS (Auto Data Capture Systems)Based upon NAS (Navision Application Server) and XML with VT100 interface to devices. I am not technically based but you can write triggers to capture and move information (probably using NAS) I think many users wil have barcodes for transactions - we do it on works packets and track them and complete them all from the barcode. My advice would be to look at the standard ADCS and also talk to one of your developers.

Please contact Riaan du Plessis at Basix in Cape Town, SA, they have solution for your challange! mailto:riaan@basix.co.za Regards Thys

Hi Fleur I represent Basix Business Solutions in Cape Town South Africa. We are the developers of the Qwix range of mobile products. This products is also available on Navision. Our Warehouse product is designed to run on the latest Pocket PC technology with the ability to operate both in Batch and RF mode. Please contact me for more information on riaan@basix.co.za [^]

Hello there, We work with Navision Attain 3.60 and the warehouse produkt with ADCS and NAS-service. We use the VT100-plugin and a VT220-emulation on Symbolbarcode-scanners on RF-scanning. It works well, almost no complains. BUT, there is one BUT. once in two weeks the service is not responding. (on a Windows 2000 Server SP4; IE6.0 SP1). It can be thuring the day (while working) or even over night (no scanning). But it is down and we can’t start working in the morning-shift. When we stop and restart the VT100-Plugin-service, de communication system service and the ADCS-service the problem is solved. But not every time. Once and a while the services are state “STOPPING” and not responding ! The only thing to do is restarte the whole server… Our solution-center does know the problem but can’t solve it. Is there anything we can do, check…?? How can we solve that problem? if not what are the alternatives? (windows CE-terminals are not a option.). Thanks for reading this and helping me out. Kindly regards, Lieven

I don’t know if this will solve your problem but from what I have been able to gather the latest “hot fix” of 3.7 is the most stable ADCS yet. I read several similar sounding complaints about server hangs, etc. That said, I don’t know if you have to upgrade or not. That is for your reseller to tell you. Just an FYI, we’re on 2.6AD and our RF system (pre-ADCS) goes down 2-3 times per day. Every couple of weeks would be a great problem to have! [:p]

What volume of transactions does your client process? How many staff will be working in receiving / despatch? Is a wireless solution necessary or can the scanning be completed at a table/desk? Can you use in-line bar-code readers (connected to PC and running as alternative input device) or do you need roaming solutions that cannect directly to the network and then to the Navision application? How much will you clinet spend of the solution? Whichever way you go you will probably need to print bar codes - are these for internal use or internal and external use? Installing ADCS (which works for us in a test environment) may well cost 10K GBP plus many days installation. Install in-line readers will cost a few thousnad plsu fewer days. Which ever route you choose, good luck. In-line bar code readers

What volume of transactions does your client process? How many staff will be working in receiving / despatch? Is a wireless solution necessary or can the scanning be completed at a table/desk? Can you use in-line bar-code readers (connected to PC and running as alternative input device) or do you need roaming solutions that cannect directly to the network and then to the Navision application? How much will you clinet spend of the solution? Whichever way you go you will probably need to print bar codes - are these for internal use or internal and external use? Installing ADCS (which works for us in a test environment) may well cost 10K GBP plus many days installation. Install in-line readers will cost a few thousnad plsu fewer days. Which ever route you choose, good luck. In-line bar code readers

OOPS! Now everyone can see my impatience.

Hi, I’ve read about your problem with VT100 etc. We have got the same problem, but more often (4 times in a day). We work with Navision 3.70 (NAS - service on Windows 2003). We use the VT100-plugin and Symbolbarcode-scanners (PDT3146) on RF-scanning, too. On my opinion, the NAS-service is not able resolve some sql-db events (errors, dead-lock,…). Thaks for any help. Dalibor

quote:

Originally posted by lieven26
Hello there, We work with Navision Attain 3.60 and the warehouse produkt with ADCS and NAS-service. We use the VT100-plugin and a VT220-emulation on Symbolbarcode-scanners on RF-scanning. It works well, almost no complains. BUT, there is one BUT. once in two weeks the service is not responding. (on a Windows 2000 Server SP4; IE6.0 SP1). It can be thuring the day (while working) or even over night (no scanning). But it is down and we can’t start working in the morning-shift. When we stop and restart the VT100-Plugin-service, de communication system service and the ADCS-service the problem is solved. But not every time. Once and a while the services are state “STOPPING” and not responding ! The only thing to do is restarte the whole server… Our solution-center does know the problem but can’t solve it. Is there anything we can do, check…?? How can we solve that problem? if not what are the alternatives? (windows CE-terminals are not a option.). Thanks for reading this and helping me out. Kindly regards, Lieven

You might contact Dale Lanham at Lanham & Associates. They have strong products in this area. Dale and his firm were the original authors of “Advanced Distribution” back in the v2 days. www.lanhamassoc.com

Hello everyone, Thanks for replying to my topic, and the solutions you give. After a couple (or a lot) of phone-calls, mails… of our IT-manager and our bussines-solution-center, we got a new VT100-Plugin. We are still running a Win2000-server SP4 IE6.0 SP1 with .Net-framework installed (optional with the upgrade). Navision 3.60 on a navision-native database. The scanners are the same… The only thing that was changed, is the new VT100-Plugin from the beginnig of may. Untill now … (knock, knock on wood) it works fine. No downtime at all, but the clock is still ticking… We will see in the begin of june. The solution is not yet official, we wait a little longer. We will see in the begin of june. We hope for the best. And maybe the new VT100-Plugin will be in the next release or hotfix. So keep up the good work, keep faith, the solution is rising… :slight_smile: Kindly regards, Lieven

Hi, can you write here your VT-100 version number? we are using VT-100 ver 1.3.0.16115 (from partnerguide), it goes better but :((, our experiences are still bad, we found out that NAS goes down when we achieve any kind of deadlock. Thanx

quote:

Originally posted by lieven26
Hello everyone, Thanks for replying to my topic, and the solutions you give. After a couple (or a lot) of phone-calls, mails… of our IT-manager and our bussines-solution-center, we got a new VT100-Plugin. We are still running a Win2000-server SP4 IE6.0 SP1 with .Net-framework installed (optional with the upgrade). Navision 3.60 on a navision-native database. The scanners are the same… The only thing that was changed, is the new VT100-Plugin from the beginnig of may. Untill now … (knock, knock on wood) it works fine. No downtime at all, but the clock is still ticking… We will see in the begin of june. The solution is not yet official, we wait a little longer. We will see in the begin of june. We hope for the best. And maybe the new VT100-Plugin will be in the next release or hotfix. So keep up the good work, keep faith, the solution is rising… :slight_smile: Kindly regards, Lieven

Hello, The version number of our VT100-Plugin is Ver 1.3.0.16404. Creation date : 19/jan/2004 Modify date : 05/mai/2004 Pleas note that the version is NOT official yet. It is only given to us for testing-purposes!! Until now it works fine. Kindly regards, Lieven

We currently use 802.11b with laptop mounted forklifts and symbol longrange scanners. This is run on a normal cside database. The scan wedges are basically programmed to handle which type of barcode you are going to scan…we use extended 3 of 9(just a true type font you can download). We are using Pallet Tracking w/ Lot No.s so this solution has worked good for us on 3.7sp1. Tried to use the Symbol PDT handhelds but they were just too small. Thanks, JP