Bad Debt Accounts

We have some bad debt accounts that haven’t do the payment for a long time. The problem occurs when they make the payment and we need to apply it to the old invoices. We always get an error saying that “…the posting date is not within your range…” Then, I need to open the posting range back to the date when the old invoices were posted but the User is careless, several times she forgot to tell me to close it back when she finished with the journals. As the impact, several times she wanted to post the journal for the current year but she forgot to change the posting date that she did from the previous journals. Then, the big mess was created as all the Closed Financials Reports were changed. What is the best solution to solve this issue? Please help. Thanks, [:)] ZEN

The payment application should be posted using the current date, not the date of the original invoice.

Yes, the payment date was entered as current date. I don’t know why the system also checking the invoice date instead. ZEN

In fact, when posting the application Navision will pop up with a dialog where you have to confirm the Document No. and the Posting Date of the Application - depending on the current position, Navision suggests these values from the current record. Therefore it is important that you either change the date to the current open period, or make sure that the “Post Application” is called having positioned the cursor on the payment… it must not be necessary to open previous periods, precisely to avoid the mentioned problems. Saludos Nils

You can only do this from Navision 3.7 forward.

… you got me there, in fact I wasn’t sure if that had been implemented with 3.60 or 3.70… Then the only solution is to make sure to position the cursor in the payment that belongs to the opened period… Or the more manual one, just to make sure that the application ocurrs in the open period: enter a 2 line journal entry, with document type “blank”, apply on one hand the invoice, on the other hand the payment, if both entries had previously been posted and are now in closed periods. Though that would be the long (but safe) way around… Saludos Nils

I am confuse why the cursor position is matter because the error is occurs when we try to apply the payment to the invoices (form 232). Nils, I have 2 questions from your suggestion: 1. If you enter 2 journal entries, later on, how do you trace back that invoices were applied to which payment (or vice versa)? 2. Does the 2 line entries will effect Detail Trail Balance? ZEN

quote:

I am confuse why the cursor position is matter because the error is occurs when we try to apply the payment to the invoices (form 232).

Navision simply takes the date of the marked / current entry for the posting date validation, no matter if you want to apply an invoice to a payment or the other way around. Just be aware that the entry when you press F11 should be in an opened period, otherwise the error message of invalid posting date appears.

quote:

1. If you enter 2 journal entries, later on, how do you trace back that invoices were applied to which payment (or vice versa)?

Difficult, difficult, that would involve 2 steps, first getting the “application entry” and then the real payment. It’s not really a nice solution regarding an easy audit trail…

quote:

2. Does the 2 line entries will effect Detail Trail Balance?

It depends on how you look at your Trial Balance: if you look at Debit/Credit then yes, because one line will affect the debit amount, the other one the credit amount. If you look at the “net amount” then no, because both lines will affect the same G/L account (Receivables/Payables Account). Saludos Nils

Unfortunately, we randomly do audit trail (normally when auditor is requesting). We are actually doing both. Some times we look Debit/Credit and also net amount for the summary. Any other suggestions that you have in mind? Thanks, ZEN [:)]