AXAPTA 3.0 via Terminal Server

Hi all, I am looking for members who want to share their knowledge on running AXAPTA on a Terminal Server. My questions are: What Internet connections do you use concerning bandwidth and latency? What is your experience with multiple users working concurrently on the TS? Printing issues? Experiences on running Office products (especially Word for CRM Quotations) on the TS and multiple users working? Anybody already using Windows Terminal Services 2003? Any comments are welcome! Greetings from Austria, Toni

hi Toni, we are on our completion of FR study for a client and are planning for Hardware. we are thinking of Axapta on Windows Terminal Server As there Multi locations connected by leased line already Pls can u guide me on what more points shall i look into it. Thanks & regards Vaibhav pednekar

We have impemented Navision Attain Solution over the TS. The researches showed up that using Citrix Metaframe. We use 256 kbps VPN and it’s enough for 35-40 simultanious connections. Citrix has Print Management systems, so user can print to his local or network printer after registering the printer into Citrix (incl. printer drivers) About Office Apps - don’t know - we don’t use them.

quote:

Originally posted by fetocino
Hi all, I am looking for members who want to share their knowledge on running AXAPTA on a Terminal Server. My questions are: What Internet connections do you use concerning bandwidth and latency? What is your experience with multiple users working concurrently on the TS? Printing issues? Experiences on running Office products (especially Word for CRM Quotations) on the TS and multiple users working? Anybody already using Windows Terminal Services 2003? Any comments are welcome! Greetings from Austria, Toni

Hi Tony, We host one solution like You mention. Re your questions:

quote:

What Internet connections do you use concerning bandwidth and latency?

Our clients use it from different countries. Latency is OK through the Internet using VPN.

quote:

What is your experience with multiple users working concurrently on the TS?

quote:

Its OK but the servers have to be sized correctly. We used two settings, there is a posibility in TS to not run the full user environment, just the Axapta client - in this case it consumes much less resources.

quote:

Printing issues?

As you would expect from TS. Drivers have to be managed (though we are evaluating a product from Tricerat which promises to solve it as well as compress printing traffic). Also, bandwidth comes into play.

quote:

Experiences on running Office products (especially Word for CRM Quotations) on the TS and multiple users working?

Not tried this one, but should not be a problem. Office products are better suited for TS environments anyway.

[quote]
Anybody already using Windows Terminal Services 2003?

Only tested, but looks quite good. Has a number of advantages - though 24bit color e.g. is not meaning anything in terms of office applications, but for example session directory is very important for TS server-farm implementations. Cheers, Peter

The following link is about setting up the AX config as the EXE from TS
http://axwonders.blogspot.com/2011/05/deploy-ax-2009-from-terminal-services.html