Axapta 2012 using report data provider from visual studio 2010

We are developing a ssrs report in ax2012. A visual studiio project is created.When selecting an report data provider in visual studio a list of ax-classes is shown. When selecting any of these classes the following error is shown: “Exeption has been thrown by a target of an invocation”. The same happens with standard ax report projects and selecting the same data provider that is shown in the query field, in the property’s of the selected dataset.

The query in a standard ax project should look something like this “SELECT * FROM CustAccountStatementExtDP.CustAccountStatementExtTmp”. But when you type this in a different project, or even the same project the same error is shown.

When data source = Query, and a set of query’s can be selected without the mentioned error. So when data sorce type = report data provider the error appears.

Anyone’s got a clue.

Thanks for any reply.

I also have to give you some extra information. The ax-client and visual studie are installed on terminal server. Were does this “report data provider” exist. Is it installed on the client server/workstation or on the AOS/reporting server? Can the “report data provider” be installed or re-registered separately?

Hello Michel,

I know this is quite an old post, but I still wonder if you managed to resolve it? I have exactly the same setup as you and I’m also struggling with the dialog hidden after query button.

Jan

It’s been a while, but we don’t have this issue anymore. Don’t know how we resolved this exactly, because we also had some other issues that we resolved by opening Visual studio from a batch file. We got support from Microsoft with these issue’s. If you have different development environments you should use a seperate batchfiles for each of them. Don’t open a report project from within aX because you might use data from a different database. How weird is that. Open the project from within Visual studio, and everything should work as it should be. And don’t open VS twice because this is not supported. Hope this will help. Mybatchfile: set configinreg="\\SERVER-AX03\axc\AX2012_Development_ISV_TS.AXC" set configinfile="\SERVER-AX03\axc\AX2012_Development_ISV_TS.AXC" set ConfigReg="%temp%\Current.reg" @> %ConfigReg% ECHO Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 @>> %ConfigReg% ECHO. @>> %ConfigReg% ECHO [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Dynamics\6.0\Configuration] @>> %ConfigReg% ECHO “Current”=%configinreg% @>> %ConfigReg% ECHO “ConfigurationFile”=%configinreg% @start “” /wait regedit /S %ConfigReg% @start “” /D"D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE" “D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe” /AxConfig %configinfile% rem pause