AX 2012 Counting Journals

Create a new counting journal, selecting the appropriate ‘count by’ options, using the create option within the journal, (On-hand, Items, Expired batches), when creating using on-hand then deleting, then recreating using items I have different results (some explainable and expected) as these queries use different tables.

What I am struggling with is a definitive answer for the differences, for example:

I have items appearing on the counting journal when creating using ‘items’ that do not appear on my counting journal when created using ‘on-hand’. Most can be explained, being a release product with NO transactions what so ever, (I guess). However, I have items that DO have transactions and stock on hand. Why are these not included in the counting journal when created by ‘on hand’ but are included in the journal when created by ‘item’?

The next question is: I have items included in the journal when created by ‘on hand’ that are not included in the journal when created by ‘item’, any ideas why?

Lastly, what should be included in the counting journal when creating by ‘on-hand’ and what should be included in the journal when created by ‘item’?

If anyone could answer these questions in a ‘none technical’ way, it would be appreciated, thanks. Apologises in advance if this is obvious and that I should know the answer,

BTW, I am not using any advanced filtering, or counting groups and the items I have issues with are not BOM’s or product variants / configurable products, just straight forward distinct products.

The basic difference is that one shows the on hand, and the other shows items, irrelevant of the on hand.

If you have items that “do” have stock on hand and are not on the on-hand routine we need to consider why. So you need to look at the dimension group and how physical inventory is tracked along with the item dimension you are running the counting journal for. As an example if your physical inventory is site controlled and not warehouse and you have 10 in WHSA and -10 in WHSB you have none on hand at the level you are tracking it at.

If you believe an on hand transaction should be on the journal then you need to investigate the trasnsactions. Is it physically received for example. The key will either be in the data, or how you generate the on hand. There are filters on the on-hand that are selected, there is the number of lines (is this exceeded) there is the physcial inventory flag that looks to see if there has been movement since the last count etc. So understand the fields on the on hand generation and then compare it to the transactions.

Appreciate the reply and advice, I will look into this more …Thanks for now