Attain, an international product???

Sometimes Navision is a sad story! [:(] Here it goes: I’m working for a customer in Switzerland who has a subsidiary in Italy. The idea is to have one Attain 3.10 db running in Switzerland and connecting the Italian subsidiary via metaframe or terminal server. Technically no big deal and done in many cases. The problem starts as the italian Subsidiary has to report according to italian law and therefore needs local customizations made from Navision Italy. Technically this too is no big deal as all italian modifications are nicely documented and additional objects placed in a separate 12nnn number range. The point is that I (with my Swiss Developer License) cannot access these 12nnn objects. Not even Navision Switzerland was able to access these objects. Not to speak of their ability to grant me an appropriate license. For the customer the problem would be the same. If he has a Swiss licence he couldn’t access the Italian objects and with an italian License he couldn’t access the Swiss ones. A sad story which leaves to us the following possible solutions: 1.) Two databases, two times full navision licenses to be paied, expensive jobs to synchronize common data, and additional efforts to implement every [:(!] change in both db’s 2.) Re-implement all needed italian modifications respectively renaming the italian objects to “developer-friendly” numbers such as 50000. I decided for version 2. Fortunately my customer doesn’t need most of the italian specialities. However, the bad taste in the mouth remains: Navision prides itselfes with having an international product - which it technically is - but in reality the internationality is foredoomed due to Licence-political bullsh… Hopefully under Micro$ofts guidance this narrow-minded nationalism will vanish.[xx(]

Hello Fabian, yeah, sometimes Navision sucks; politically. We have exactly the same problems here in Asia. It is even more complicated because we have to use several license files even in ONE country (SG and TH licenses). However, something MUST go wrong in Switzerland. Let me explain later. Do you know how Navision Switzerland is related to Navision. It is now 100% MS? Or still partly involved? I do not want to come up with a technical solution for your problem but I want to show you that there is a license solution: A friend was so kind to “show” me his license permissions. It is a 005 license. However, it will show that it is possible:

quote:

Originally posted by fabian The point is that I (with my Swiss Developer License) cannot access these 12nnn objects. Not even Navision Switzerland was able to access these objects. Not to speak of their ability to grant me an appropriate license.

Hm, I do not understand this. Comming back to the mentioned license. I captured the following information from the Licenses Permission Table in Navision: Object Type,Object Number,Read Permission,Insert Permission,Modify Permission,Delete Permission,Execute Permission TableData,11998,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes, TableData,11999,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes, TableData,12000,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes, TableData,12001,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes, TableData,12002,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes, Table,11998,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Table,11999,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Table,12000,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Table,12001,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Table,12002,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Form,11998,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Form,11999,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Form,12000,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Form,12001,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Form,12002,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Report,11998,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Report,11999,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Report,12000,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Report,12001,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Report,12002,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Dataport,11998,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Dataport,11999,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Dataport,12000,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Dataport,12001,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Dataport,12002,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Codeunit,11998,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Codeunit,11999,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Codeunit,12000,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Codeunit,12001,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes Codeunit,12002,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes System,11998, , , , , System,11999, , , , , System,12000, , , , , System,12001, , , , , System,12002, , , , , So, with the mentioned license it is possible to access 11nnn (German Object numbering?) and 12nnn. Still not allowed is adding fields below 50000: Object Type,Object Number,Read Permission,Insert Permission,Modify Permission,Delete Permission,Execute Permission FieldNumber,49998,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes FieldNumber,49999,Yes, ,Yes,Yes,Yes FieldNumber,50000, ,Yes,Yes,Yes, FieldNumber,50001, ,Yes,Yes,Yes, FieldNumber,50002, ,Yes,Yes,Yes, FieldNumber,50003, ,Yes,Yes,Yes, So far for developer licenses.

quote:

Originally posted by fabian For the customer the problem would be the same. If he has a Swiss licence he couldn’t access the Italian objects and with an italian License he couldn’t access the Swiss ones.

Here I guess you are right. I have never seen an customer license with access to more than one localisation. CAPS will not allow to configure such a license. If once the license is fixed to DE-xxx or FR-xxx or IT-xxx, NO way.

quote:

Originally posted by fabian I decided for version 2. Fortunately my customer doesn’t need most of the italian specialities.

But with an “better” license file you would have an easier life during your development. I wonder why noboby can help. Even issuing a 005 license file valid for only 6 month would help a lot. Therefore, I have to quote you again:

quote:

Originally posted by fabian Hopefully under Micro$ofts guidance this narrow-minded nationalism will vanish.[xx(]

Regards Walter

Hi Fabian, I can understand your issue. Sometimes it’s really helpless.

quote:

2.) Re-implement all needed italian modifications respectively renaming the italian objects to “developer-friendly” numbers such as 50000.

A right solution but looking from the customer’s point of view, if he hasn’t purchased the needed extra objects, he has to purchase the same. So more payment with no extra benefits.[xx(] Our Customer has a similar issue related to replication between subsidaries at different location, but couldn’t find any concrete solution. Citrix is there but in cases where there’s no scope for downtime and the telephone/lease line are out of work? I still think that Navision Attain has a long way to go technically. Regards[:(]