Are SQL CALs Included?

We are looking to upgrade from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005. I seem to remember that the CALs are included with the Navision licensing, but I am not sure, and I can’t seem to find anything that proves it.

Thank you.

Well, from a licensing point - as far as I know - you can not upgrade from SQL Server 2000 to 2005, actually you have to rebuy the license.

So, if you have to buy new licenses, I recommend to look into the option of buying SQL Server 2005 Runtime license via the NAVISION license!

In Europe, the Standard Edition is 120 EUR per User/CAL, Enterprise Edition is 220 EUR. This option could be quite cheaper than purchasing “the normal way”.

Example:

Standard Price SQL Server 2005 EE (incl. 25 CAL): ~ 8000 USD (~ 6300 EUR)

25 x SQL Server 2005 EE Runtime license: ~ 5500 EUR

You save 800 EUR!

If you have some discount options, like VPO, you could save even more, of course.

Actually, this means that you could buy SQL 2005 EE RT for a single user installation for 220 EUR - no restrictions, no limitations - it’s a complete SQL Server!!!

Disadvantage: You are only allowed to run a NAVISION database on this server (legally, no technical restrictions [6]).

But: As you have to pay the annual upgrade fee (NAVISION license) of 10%, you can upgrade in future to newer SQL Server Runtime versions for free!

Please check with you NAVISION Partner.