Anyway to access Navision Database if we forgotten the user-id & password?

Hello,

Anyway to access the Navision Database if we forgot or lost the user-id & password?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

YK Cheong

What version are you running? Is it is prior to 4 you have some escape possibilities . if I remember correctly is was entering 20 questrionmarks into the username, but I am sure someone corrects me if I am wrong.

This feature was removed from version 4 onwards, I don’t know if there are alternative procedures. If you have a backup, they are not password protected. Otherwise I don’t think there is any way to get back in.

Build new database.

Restore backup - DO NOT replace security tables…

Create new user with SUPER permissions.

There is no problem with replacing the security tables. Once you have compelted the restore, you are logged in a as SUPER, so at that point you can change the passwords of the existing users.

Just make sure not to any anyway disconnect once the backup is completed. I fthe backup stops for some reason whilst creating keys, (not enough dtabase space etc.) than at thispoint you can also go in and change the UPSER password.

Here’s a document, just to add more info to the post

http://www.geocities.com/navision_attain/downloads/NavBackupSecurity.doc

I haven’t done this but it might work, a few things all have to work right. Most important is you have to have a odbc driver setup with the password already, hopefully you did this when you first installed the odbc driver.

you can link to the window access control file in Navision and insert a line for a user and give the super premission. the odbc driver gives you access to Login SID, Role ID and Login ID.

Then you should be able to change your navision startup icon to use “ntauthentication=yes” and logon to Navision using windows authitication.

worth a shot, it would be faster to test then a restore would be.

Can’t do anything thing about it now, but when you get back in, create TWO admin user IDs. The 2nd is your “spare key” in case this happens again.

Write down the user ID and password, seal it in an envelope and lock it up.
You have to lock it up to keep the auditors happy.

Gary

the other thing to do is to use windows authentication instead of database login. This way your passwords and security is controlled through active directory and this won’t happen. useless you also forget your windows passwords also. in which case you really shouldn’t be using a program like this anyways.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have tried all your method but I am still cannot login.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

Have a nice day.

Was just going through a manual and found this, I know it is too late to help you, but if someone search and finds this post later, it might help them

If you forget your password or user ID

If you forget your password or user ID, you will be allowed an unlimited number of

attempts to enter it. You can also request a new password from a user who has

permission to change other people’s passwords.

If all users have forgotten their user IDs or passwords (passwords are encrypted, so

they cannot be seen anywhere in the program), so no one can set up new ones, you

can get a special password from your Microsoft Certified Business Solutions Partner.

To get a new password from your Microsoft Certified Business Solutions Partner:

1 Open Navision.

2 When the Login window appears, enter ???.. (20 question marks) as the

user ID. The program now displays a window containing a code.

3 Give the code to your Microsoft Certified Business Solutions Partner, and they can

supply you with a new password.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Warning

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Do not use the keyboard or mouse before you enter the new password.

4 Enter the password from the Microsoft Certified Business Solutions Partner. It can

only be used once.

5 Click OK to close the window.

6 As soon as you have entered it, click Tools, Security, Users, and set up your own

password.