Any Materials for Navision programming exam ?!

Hello,

It concern Navision 3.7 I have “Solution Development Training “ (participants manual) -… but it is designed to persons who have passed Navision Programming exam [although I downloaded it from my partnerguide programming section (development section isn’n exist)].

I have (of course) all docs from product CD (Application Designer’s Guide e.g.) I can’t find any “real” reference to materials for programming exam only ( I looked in my partnerguide site) Have You any reference or materials for it?

Thank you for any help

Griess

griess1@informtech.com.pl

There is no specific material for the programming exam, in fact it’s necessary to read through several manuals or other sources. Experience is the most valuable help. The following lines describe the objectives and knowledge that is asked, quite a lot on Integration (C/ODBC and C/FRONT).

quote:

Sections and Objectives: • C/AL Programming o Variable types – creating variables. o Expressions of all expression types - evaluating C/AL expressions - the syntax of all C/AL statements. o Functions - parameters, local variables, return values, and function types - passing a parameter – discovering and using common built-in functions of C/AL – writing and using functions. o Triggers - the three types of triggers found in C/SIDE objects. o Navision standard code formatting. • Basic C/SIDE Objects o C/SIDE objects - types of objects and their usage - object properties - the Object Designer - export and import of objects – the Import Worksheet, and conflict resolution – compiling objects. o Tables: Creating and modifying a table - table properties - table relations - running a table - fields - field types – creating and modifying a field - field properties - FlowFilter and FlowField classes - keys - primary and secondary keys – creating and modifying a key - sumindex fields - determine the best key to use for any situation. o Forms: Creating a form using the form wizard - modifying a form - form properties – running a form - form controls - control types and their usage – creating and modifying a control - control properties - menu items. o Reports: Creating a report using the report wizard - modifying a report - report properties – running a report - processing-only reports - dataitems - relationships between dataitems – creating and modifying a dataitem - dataitem properties - sections - section types and their usage – creating and modifying a section - section properties - controls are - the differences between controls used on a form and controls used on a report - the request form is – creating and modifying the option tab of the request form - adding filters and sort buttons to the request form. o Dataports: Creating and modifying a dataport - types of dataports - dataport properties - running a dataport - dataitems - the differences between dataitems used on a report and dataitems used on a dataport - dataport fields - creating dataport fields using the field menu - modifying dataport fields - dataport field properties - the request form - the differences between the request form used in reports and the request form used in dataports o Codeunits: Creating and modifying a codeunit - codeunit properties. • System & Application Architecture o The client/server nature - transactions and processes (including commit Microsoft® Navision® Course & Certification Descriptions V3.60 - 61 - and rollback) - the version based nature of Navision Server – locking and optimistic concurrency - differences between the Navision Server and the Microsoft SQL Server options - installing the Navision Server and the Navision Client - the Navision license. o Filters are and what they do. o The common table structures used in Navision Attain (master tables, ledger tables, etc.) - relationships between the various table structures - the standard data flow between tables – The appropriate form and report types to use with each table structure. o Standard navigation used in Navision Attain (including the standard use of hot keys) - how to implement it in new application areas. o The standard menu structure and the security system used with Navision Attain. • Integration to Outside Applications o C/ODBC - the C/ODBC driver - reading and writing Navision Attain information from an outside application using C/ODBC - considerations you must take into account in order to write safely into Navision Attain from an outside application. o C/FRONT - situations where you would use C/FRONT. o C/OCX - the usage of OCX controls within Navision Attain - the limitations that C/SIDE imposes on the use of OCX controls - Automation Servers - the usage of Automation Servers within Navision Attain. o Adding on-line help to Navision Attain. Preparation Guidelines: • Recommended Courses: Introduction to Microsoft Business Solutions Microsoft Navision Overview Microsoft Navision Essentials Financial Management Inventory Costing, Resources & Jobs and Fixed Assets Microsoft Navision Programming • Recommended Readings: None. • Practical Knowledge: Two years experience in programming business applications is recommended. Either completion of Financial Management course (certification not necessary), or two months hands on experience with the financial management application area is recommended.

Saludos Nils

Thank You for this information.

Moved to Dynamics NAV - Certification and Training Forum.

If you had to chose one document to read, read the Application’s Designer’s Guide.

is it useful if I just read C/SIDE introduction (8359B) to pass development 1exam?

No. It is not possible to know NAV and be a valuable developer unless you actually learn to do the job. YES this is great start and you should raed all the documentation, but to add value to your self as a professional, learn NAV the application, and look at examples of how code is wrtiten in the Basic Applicaiton.

Actually, the ‘C/SIDE Introduction’ course is what used to be ‘development 1’, so that material should prepare you for it, although I would suggest that you find the version that belongs to the version of the exam that you are taking. There might be some new topics that are not covered in the 3.6 version. I do think that if you study the 3.6 manual that you should have a good chance of passing the exam.

Don’t just read it though, you should also do the exercises and follow along in the application and get your hands on the IDE yourself. Good luck with the exam, it’s good to see someone who actually wants to study the material :).