Advantages of Nav?

Anyone with some experience with both could tell me what they think the advantages of using Microsoft Nav Vs. SAP as an ERP system?

Very interesting question. But instead of just answering it, I would rather like to list a few comparisons between the two different products:

Dynamics NAV

• Fewer screens

• Many actions can be done from a single screen

• Less restrictive, own responsibility to guard consistency

• Open ended: lets you save unfinished work

• Quick implementations (typically 4-8 months)

SAP

• Many screens and functions

• Processes are divided in individual steps

• More restrictive: forcing consistency across the application

• Information completeness checked to avoid issues in next process step

• Long implementations (typically 6-18 months)

On top of this then my own personal guide lines are that if your company (single legal entity) have more than 200-300 concurrent users or more than 1000000 transactions per months, then you should consider a different systems than Navision. Of cause there are many reason for why you would still select Navision, but you just need to know that it would require a lot of SQL performance optimization to perform good.

Interesting… In your opinion what would be the better option for implementing a manufacturing function using thin client terminals linked with barcoding technology?? There will be other functions the system will have to manage such as: Quality, maintenance, financial, and HR; but the primary focus will be the manufacturing of a product.

This can be done with both systems.

It really depends on what organization you work with! What’s the size? number of concurrent users? Number of monthly transactions? Etc?

I can ensure you that Navision can handle manufacturing quite well, but it success is connected to your requirements. How many users, transaction per second and manufacturing control level, etc. I don’t know how complex are your requirements.

For example I have seen a SAP manufacturing project taking 11 to go live after has been declared has finished and is still not live yet. This customer has enormous complex requirements.

For example I’m starting now a Manufacturing project, but this customer doesn’t have complex requirements. For this customer I had to develop a quality control engine for evaluating RAW materials and finished products and read output from Manufacturing in real time.

We will not be working with many final products per month. But there are many smaller parts and routings that compound to create a final product. We are running a test facility now with at most 10-20 users so they can nail down the manufacturing process. Full scale production will be about 100 max concurrent users. We are primarily concerned with keeping schedule, efficiency, parts traceability records, and test data recording. But we would like to see some barcoding technology implemented to facilitate the receiving of large (1000+) number of parts that go into each finished product. Each one of these parts needs to be traced with serial number recognition.

Until know all you requirements can be handled by NAV. [:)]

As an end user and system developer of the software of both SAP and Navision. I would point out the following : SAP 4.6c Very good integrated system - however you need to go on a lot of courses at the beginning to get a good base understanding To change the program always was a problem. Navision 4.0 We have made Navision of global product for our international group. We fashioned certain areas that were a bit clunky and made some good user changes to stop errors and aid postings. I have not been on any courses Report writing is essentially a good tool I feel as now the person responsible for IT I am in control and able to “tweak” and optimise Navision easier than SAP. Both systems are good but from a user point of view Navision is simpler. Michael M