Adjust Cost - Item Entries - GL account

Hi, Following the great responses I got last time I thought I would try my luck again. When running the “Adjust Cost - Item Entries” routine, we would like the adjustment posting to go into a seperate GL account so we can keep clear track of where an adjustment was necessary. At the moment it is posting into the same COGS account as the original sales invoice line. Has anybody done this and if so, how easy/difficult was it and would you be willing to share your code snippets so our poor overworked developer can have a bit of a life [;)] Many thanks Meint

Hi Meint, which report is it ?

Hi Hans, The report is 795, “Adjust Cost - Item Entries”, which I believe in turn calls 5895 - “Inventory Adjustment”. We would like to add a field into the table General Posting Setup called “COGS Adjustment Account” and have the COGS adjustment go into the account we specify for the combination of “Gen. Bus. Posting Group” and “Gen. Prod. Posting Group” whenever we run the “Adjust Cost - Item Entries” report. Basically, the reason we are doing this is so that we can easily report on true costs (and margins) against our forecasted values (which we are using to pay our sales people). Regards Meint

Im dealing with Navision 2.01. In this version I can’t verify the turn to 5895. The expansion of General Posting Setup with this field isn’t a problem. For the rest I can not help because my version does no posting to GL Sorry

Hi Hans, Thanks for trying anyway, as you probably guessed, we are developing for the 3.70 version. Regards Meint

quote:

Originally posted by meintd
…Basically, the reason we are doing this is so that we can easily report on true costs (and margins) against our forecasted values (which we are using to pay our sales people)…

If you are just looking to get this information for a report, it might be better to leave the posting as is and use the value entries to determine the forecasted values. There is always less headaches to change the report rather than change the posting routines. [;)]

Hi Chris, Thanks for your reply. We had thought of this and you might be right that it is the easiest way. However, the original idea was to get the adjustments into a seperate GL account so they could be included in the Account Schedule (and would be visible as a seperate entity), but if this takes too long the report from the value entries might be an acceptable alternative. Problem is, the adjustment lines in the value entries are not marked anywhere as being an adjustment, so it is not that easy to differentiate them from normal COGS postings. We may have to change the description of these value entries or give them a reason code, but - you guessed it - this means modifying the report anyway. We will review it with the developer when he returns from holiday next week (alright for some) and I will post progress. In the meantime, more clever ideas are still welcomed. Many thanks Meint

quote:

Originally posted by meintd
…Problem is, the adjustment lines in the value entries are not marked anywhere as being an adjustment,…

Are you sure?

In “General Ledger”/Setup/“Trail Codes”/“Source Code Setup”, TAB-page Inventory you find the fields “Inventory Post Cost” and “Adjust Cost”. Can’t you somehow benefit from those fields? You see theese codes on the Value Entries. Posting to G/L is done in codeunit 5802, which is called from 22 and 5895. And probably some other objects. But it should not be that hard to change the posting to be done on some other accounts.

Hi guys, Dooh, you are absolutely right, the value entries are marked as an adjustment and doing a report should now be straightforward. We will just investigate the posting issue anyway, but I am now pretty confident we will find a solution that meets our needs. Thanks for your help Meint