Additional Company Setup in NAV 5

I would like to make a copy of my current company, and create a second company from that to use as a Test database. Should I create a seperate database since I will be doing Post tests etc?? What are the steps and do I need to do anything within SQL Server?

Hi,

It’s best to create a separate database. Backup your current database and then restore it in your test database. As a suggestion, once your your test database has been restored, rename the companies in the test environment, such as from ‘abc co’ to '‘TEST abc co.’.

Hi Jason,

You can do a second company too , but you will have to do this in this order:

1. backup your prod company data to fbk.

2. rename prod company to Test…

3. restore FBK to restore the prod. environment.

Obviously off business hours :).

Now you can have a separate db too that allows you to separate code changes that can be pro and con.

If you need to test production business changes then probably better to keep a secondary company.

If you need to assist development and testing , I suggest the separate db.

gabor

I do not think doing any testing in the production database is a good idea at all. I agree with JSP’s suggestion. There’s just too much that can go wrong. To avoid confusion I always recommend putting the test database on a different server, and if that is not possible create a separate test database on the production server.

Awesome I think I will create the new company in a seperate DB. How do I toggle in between databases? If I open the other database, does this affect the other standard users who are connecting tothe other DB? Lastly, should I create the seperate DB through the client or from the SQLMS?

DO I create the seperate DB through the client or through SQL MS?

You can toggle between the databases by clicking on File>>Database>>Open. In the Server Name dropdown list, if you don’t see the other database name, type it in. If it connects, then from the Database Name drop-down list, select your database that you want to connect to.

You can do it either way you want, but obviously SSMS will be a lot faster.

If you have a SQL Server backup, you would create the database in SQL Server. If you have a NAV backup, you would create the database from the NAV client.