Adding a new Option type in Account Schedule "Column Type".

Hi All!

I have to create a new report: Profit and Loss Management Report.

The first column needs to display the actual balance for the current month.

The second column needs to display the sum of the balances from start of the financial year to the end of the current month.

When I set up the column layout for this report, I have set column type as Balance To Date for the first column, it is OK.

But what about the second column, there is no option in the column type field on the Column Layout table that enables me to sum up the balance of several periods.

Is it possible to create another option for the column type field in the Column Layout table that enables this?

If so, can anyone please help me?

Urgent Reply Needed.

Thnx and Rgds

Beatrice.

Beatrice, is this really a new value in a field on a table?

To me it looks more like you are trying to create a New Accounts’ Schedule.

I guess you misunderstood.

In fact, in the Column Type field, only the following options are available:

Formula

Net Change

Balance at Date

Beginning Balance

Year To Date

Rest of Fiscal Year

Entire Fiscal Year

My question is whether it is possible to create a new Column Type option that will enable me to retrieve figures of cumulative balances from the start of financial year to the current period for one column in my account schedule.

Say, I am running my account schedule for March 2006 and my financial year runs from January to December 2006. The first column will display balances at March 2006(Current {Period), whereas the second column will have to display cumulative balances from JAN 2006 to MAR 2006 in the same account schedule.

Hope I made myself clear.

Thnx and Rgds

Beatrice.

So you are trying; not to modify an Account schedule; but actually to modify the code that generates account schedules so that you can then create new accounts schedules with this feature?

Isn’t this Year To Date? If not what is the difference?

The Year To Date will give me the net change in the account balances from the start of the fiscal year to the end of the period. The figures comes same as my first column, that is, the balance at the end of the current period.

What I need is the cumulative balances from January 2006 to March 2006. That is, the sum of the balances for JAN 2006, FEB 2006 and MAR 2006.

Hope it is clear now.

Beatrice.

Year To Date at the End of March IS the cumulative balance of Jan Feb and March.

Can you put it in code or an example, because I just don’t see the difference.

For example YTD for March would have a date filter

010106…310306

it seems that what you want is:

010106…3101006|010206…280206|010306…310306

but in the end they are the same.

Beatrice,

What Date filter do you have? Try 010306…310306 and first column with net change

In the column layout look at the help files in the Column Date Formula and Column Period Formula, this will tell you what values date formula you need to enter to change this column to a fiscal period based on the date range you enter when running the report.

Please find below to illustrate the issue regarding account schedules.

Jan 2006 (010106…310106): 500,000

Feb 2006(010206…280206): 200,000

Mar 2006(010306…310306): 300,000

When I run my account schedule whereby I set the Date Filter as 010306…310306, the following figures are supposed to come:

Column 1: 300,000 (Balance at the end of the current period, Mar 2006).

Column 2: 1,000,000 (Cumulative Balance from start of financial year to end of current period).

Please note that for the second column it is not the net change which is required for the second column.

I hope it is clearer with this example.

Rgds

Beatrice.

What are your settings and results?

What is first column? Net Change?

What is Second Column? Year to date?

Didn’t we solve this previously?

Regards

Richard

Column 1: Balance at Date

Column 2: Year To Date

The figures I am getting from the account schedule for the second column gives net change when I set column type as Year To Date.

In fact, what I want is the cumulative balances from the start of the fiscal year to the end of the current period.

Beatrice

Something is not right, balance at date should be cummulative balance to date not balance at end of period (I’m checking 3.7), year to date is from start of fiscal year and net change is the movement.

Can you check what your fiscal year is set as? Also are the results expected with the other date periods.

THis looks more like an enduser issue than a developer issue, so I have moved the thread where it should get more appropriate answers.

Fiscal Year runs from Jan 2006 to Dec 2006.

From the online help, I have the following options for column type:

Formula

The column will display amounts calculated from amounts in other columns in the account schedule. You enter the formula in the Formula field.

Net Change

The column will display the net change in the account balances during the period.

Balance

The column will display the account balances at the end of the period.

Beginning Balance

The column will display the account balances at the beginning of the period.

Year to Date

The column will display the net change in the account balances from the start of the fiscal year to the end of the period.

Rest of Fiscal Year

The column will display the net change in the account balances from the end of the period to the end of the fiscal year in which the period ends.

Entire Fiscal Year

The column will display the net change in the account balances for the fiscal year in which the period ends.

Does Balance refer to same as Balance at Date?

Because Balance is not available in my Column Type table.

I don’t have a Balance at Date except on Chart of Accounts. Balance produces the same value as the Balance at Date on the chart of Accounts. If you have closed the previous fiscal year balance and Year to Date will be the same (if closing entries excluded)

Which Version are you running? Have you had this area modified? I take it all the other column types exist. In any case you should just need Net Change and Year to Date, and if these are not working and column type has been changed, I would contact your NSC to see what they have done.

I wonder if in fact this is because of the differnce between Balance Sheet and Profit Loss accounts. P/L accounts require an end of year closing for them to really make sense. Its quite possible that this is causing you problems.

Are these P/L or Balance Sheet accounts?

The version is W1 4.0 SP1.

This area has never been modified to my knowledge.

Please note that these are Profit & Loss Accounts.

Thanks and Regards

Beatrice.

Not sure I can help much more, but one of the real experts may. It works fine in 3.7 and would be surprised if changed in 4. Can only suggest you re-check the Accounting Calander setup, that year end processes are complete, you are using the correct column layout, or set up new column layout with a column for all the options and post the results, and compare with chart of accounts (by Dimension)

Yes Richard, I think this is the most likely place to start looking.