Add more accounting periods

With reference to a forum post herein (link function did not work!), http://dynamicsuser.net/forums/p/49024/253041.aspx, I report the need to add accounting periods in an accounting year where only one period had been created.

In my case, when year 2012 was created, January of 2013 was created with it. By mistake, when posting was done in 2013, no further periods were created for that year. Subsequently, of course, the year 2013 was closed. Now, I cannot add the other 11 months.

Apart from directly inserting rows into table 50 (Accounting Period), is there a supported way to enrich 2013 such that this year will have 12 accounting periods, like it should have?

Velkommen til forumet!

First & foremost:

NEVER EVER tamper with NAV DB directly, bypassing NAV logics!!! Forget that you (may) know what MSSQL SSMS is :slight_smile:

Only TSQL keyword allowed is SELECT {something} for third-party reporting - no INSERT / UPDATE / DELETE / ALTER. Well, CREATE VIEW is allowed, too.

Well, that said, let’s return to your issue. In fact, Accounting Periods functionality in NAV is embrional state, has ever been, so the problem is not so big as it seems to be.
When your FY begins/ends? Does it match the calendar year? If YES, then:

It is normal behavior that the additional first month following the end of FY is added, when FY is created. If the last line you have in Acc.Periods is JAN-2013, check, what columns are marked in that line - should be New FY=Yes, both Closed and Date Locked= No.

IF the JAN-2013 line is as above:

create FY 2013 with StartingDate=01/01/13, NoOfPeriods=12, PeriodLength=1M. After that, create FY-14, too, (by the way, Juledag-2014 er banker på dører.…)

IF NOT - well, then let me know what values are there, better a screehshot, and we will look for further actions to solve your issue.

Many thanks for your thorough review. My FY matches the calendar year. As I wrote, January 2013 is closed, hence this entire situation. In this simple situation, a screenshot is not warranted, the field values are as follows:

Starting Date = 01.01.13 (Jan 1st, 2013)
Name = January
New Fiscal Year = Yes
Closed = Yes
Date Locked = Yes

So, my question is still standing.

The only possible solution will look a little bit weird, but, as I said, Accounting Periods has minimal, if any, effect on NAV functionality, especially, if FY=Calendar Year and Period=Calendar Month.

Therefore, it can be done the following way, moreover, 2013 is (should be?) already closed year.

1. Create a fake FY starting on Feb-01-2013, NoOfPeriods=11, PeriodLength=1M

2. Create normal FY-14 starting on Jan-01-2014, NoOfPeriods=12, PeriodLength=1M

You now can Close that fake FY - I suppose the company is long ago done with FY-13. Anyway, Closing does NOTHING else than put checkmarks in this page. If not now, at some time you’ll need to close it, there can’t be gaps in the closing sequence.

This closing will NOT try to close Income Statement accounts for period Feb-01-2013 till Dec-31-2013 again or perform whatever other activities, for that another actions must be taken.

Thanks, I used your answer as part of the solution. Then, using SSMS, I set New Fiscal Year to 0 for February 2013.

Cleaning the checkmark in the way you did does not cause any harm to the system.

Actually, now the AccPeriods Page simply looks nice, as it should be, and nobody who happens to look in there can ask unnecessary questions why the hell there was that excess EoY checkmark in January… :slight_smile:

Once more - NAV functionality was not affected in any way even while the checkmark was there.