Add-0n VS vertical.

HI,

Could any expert explain abou t what is the difference between Add-0n VS vertical.

For example take

Payroll – is it Addon or Vertical

Quality control - is it add-on or Vertical.

Plant maintaince - Is it Add- on or vertical

Pebble stone – Is it Addon - or Vetical.

Please share your valuable suggestion

And let me know the Link about the which add-on s available by other partners.

Have a look at Davids wiki

http://wiki.dynamicsbook.com/index.php?title=Addon_vs_vertical

In simple terms:

An add on is generally a small (small is a relative term [:)]) piece of function.

A vertical (as davids says) is a solution with knowledge attached to it.

There is no rule that “verticals are big and add-ons are small”. There are BIG add-ons (Payroll for instance) and small verticals (can’t think of one, but it could be possible that a particular industry’s modifications would not necessarily need big changes in functionality).

In general terms, a vertical is a solution that applies to (a branche of) a particular industry. Pebblestone’s fashion product for instance is a vertical, because any company that works in that industry can use the product, as it has features that are common to that industry. Other examples of verticals are Life Science, Process Manufacturing, Rental Management.

An Add-on is a piece of additional functionality that can be used regardless of the industry that you work in. Examples are Workflow solutions, Payroll, Integration components.

Microsoft has a solution finder tool on their website that lists many add-ons and vertical products.

A good way to remember the differences is to think about the organization chart of a company. In the top you have the CEO, then under him the managers of the different departments, and under the managers the department employees.

The verticial is normally seen as an application that spans more than one department (vertically) - a industry specific solution. And What Daniel here calls the add-on is actually what is often called the horizontal solution, which is just like Daniel writes eventually a payroll system, a banking / payment system, a POS solution or a warehouse system etc.

But in general then they are both the vertical and the horizontal add-ons if we stay in the Dynamics world.

So as I see it asking add-on vs. vertical you could just as well as apple vs. fruit! [;)]

As I wrote on the Wiki,

I think its hard to just call something a Vertical, which is why I said we should think in terms of “A Vertical Solution” vs “An Add-On”

Most (probably all) Vertical Solutions based on Navision include a number of Add-Ons. These could be described as Erik says as Horizontal Add-Ons. And whist theoretically a Vertical Add-On can exist, in Navision they virtually never do. What we think of as a Vertical Add-On is a lot of code integrated so deeply into Core Navision that it could no longer be considered an Add-On.

Do you all remember the old PC&C definition of an Add-On and that Lego style presentation they used to use.

But when we look at Vertical SOLUTIONS, the issue here is not so much that the Vertical Add-Ons that are key. What makes this a Vertical Solution, is the industry knowledge that comes with it.

And as to Vertical Add-Ons, I think we could really say that every time we go to a new client and give them what they need to run their business, that we are developing a Vertical Add-On for them.

To me, the knowledge is what is at the basis of the vertical solution. The knowledge comes first, then the vertical.

Anyway, it’s all semantics anyway, what one person calls a vertical is called an add-on by another person because it’s not registered with MSFT. Technically there’s no difference, it all has to be merged in anyway.

Thanks to all experts,

Could u throw that link about all add-ons and Vetical which other pertners are providing.

Please …

I don’t have the link handy, so browse around partnersource, or maybe even the public part of the Dynamics NAV page on microsoft.com, it’s called the solution finder.

You find the Dynamics Partner Solution Finder here: http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/solutionfinder.mspx