3 Levels of Grouping in G/L trans. detail?

We are in need of a solution to providing a client with 3 levels of grouping in G/L transaction detail, basically Account, Sub-Account, Department. Obviously Navision is designed for Account and Department, but there is no clear way of dealing with Sub-Account. You can use a dash in the Account numbers (as in 15504-01, 15504-02, 15504-03, etc. all built as unique G/L accounts) but to filter for this in reporting ranges from inelegant to impossible. It’s frightening to picture creating a Sub-Account structure similar to Department. It would be a huge project that no client would want to underwrite. Several other packages allow for Sub-Accounts out of the box. Have any of you handled this already? Does anyone have a suggestion of a different way to handle it using existing features (or with less modification than mentioned above)? Thanks for your comments!

quote:

Originally posted by jpitney: We are in need of a solution to providing a client with 3 levels of grouping in G/L transaction detail, basically Account, Sub-Account, Department. Obviously Navision is designed for Account and Department, but there is no clear way of dealing with Sub-Account. You can use a dash in the Account numbers (as in 15504-01, 15504-02, 15504-03, etc. all built as unique G/L accounts) but to filter for this in reporting ranges from inelegant to impossible. It’s frightening to picture creating a Sub-Account structure similar to Department. It would be a huge project that no client would want to underwrite.

There are a few other G/L segments you could use: I worked on an installation for a hotel company where we used the Project Code to separte the various hotels and other operating units of a hotel chain. You might also be able to use the Business Unit code. The “huge project” you mentioned would actually not all that huge (until you needed to port the modifications to a new version of NF, at least.) I wouldn’t really recommend it, but you could do it for a cost somewhere in the low- to mid-five figures (US $ or Euros) range. I have heard that there are addons you can buy which add extra dimensions to the G/L, although I can not cite any specific sources. ------- Tim Horrigan horrigan@aol.com

As Tim said use Project Code but not the Business unit Code which is used for company Consoildation. You can add another level to the flow Filters but there is a lot of work involved. Another way would be to split the Department Code add a new field to G/L entry and copy part of the code to a new field and group you report with “Department” “Sub Department” In the codeUnit G/L Post Line Function InitGLEntry populate the field IF “Department Code” <> ‘’ then “Sub Department”:=COPYSTR(“Department Code”,7); IE: 15504-01 becomes 01 Version 3 supports a lot more levels of filtering so i am told! David Cox MindSource (UK) Limited Navision Solutions Partner Email: david@mindsource.co.uk Web: www.mindsource.co.uk Edited by - David Cox on 2001 Apr 17 14:55:46

There is an add-on which adds 3 more dimensions (just like Project and Dept) available from: Russ Murray rmurray@wattsup.com Watts Up, Inc. 187 Main Street Ossining, NY 10562 888-928-8787 Sales 914-944-1600 Phone 914-944-1626 Fax Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever

Are you really sure, you need three levels of accounts? If you have a structure like

Cash Available
-- Bank Accounts
---- Bank A
---- Bank B
---- Bank C 

You have a three Level structure without the need of raping Navision. Question: What is your specific problem? Why does this Method of flat-structure not satisfy the needs of your customer? ------- With best regards from Switzerland Marcus Fabian