2.5 to 4.0 Upgrade Question

I’m upgrading someone from 2.5 to 4.0. The 4.0 Upgrade Toolkit says to use the 3.7 toolkit and go from 2.5 to 3.7, then use the 4.0 Upg Toolkit to go from 3.7 to 4.0. I can understand their reasoning, but obviously I don’t want to merge the customized objects twice (into 3.7 and then to 4.0.) Do I just need to move the custom fields into 3.7 for the middle step? Also, what tool do most people use for the actual merging? The “original” merge tool? Dev toolkit? other apps? Thx, M

quote:

I’m upgrading someone from 2.5 to 4.0. The 4.0 Upgrade Toolkit says to use the 3.7 toolkit and go from 2.5 to 3.7, then use the 4.0 Upg Toolkit to go from 3.7 to 4.0.

According to the description i have you should be able to upgrade direct from 2.5 to 4.0 Maybe this is different for you in the US ? If you have to go thru 3.7 you only need to move custom fields and tables to this version. Customized objects only need to be merged to 4.00.

You shouldn’t merge the objects twice. Just once from 2.5 to 4.0. You need to upgrade the data to 3.7 then to 4.0. I use CodeWright for comparing.

Everyone has their favourite, mine is WinMerge.